Overdigging entire pool to virgin soil and then building bac

mory

Oct 15, 2010
We have recently started a vinyl linear pool install, our excavator had to dig past 42" since some of the area was backfill around our home and he had to dig to virgin soil. So here is the question.. How do you build back the area especially on the shelf in the deep end? We are planning on putting gravel on the shallow end to build back up... We were thinking about forming with concrete on the deep end shelf to place the wall system.. Any suggestions would be great!

we are in ohio and the land we are building the pool on is slopped and was back filled when we build our home.. unfortunetely, this is the only spot due to septic/leach field in our back yard... The hole is almost completely finished the escavator dug out until he reached new soil, we hope our plan works with our backfilling option... I hope to get some pics of the process.. . love this site, great info!!

I had the same problem while digging my pool. I excavated through the topsoil level to a depth of 3 feet below the proposed depth of the shallow end and about 1 foot below the proposed depth of the deep end. To fill it back up to the proposed elevation I used 3/4 clear crushed limestone which goes in at a compaction rate of about 98% so no compaction is needed. This material is used under all concrete slabs in this region ( basement floors, garage slabs, industrial building slabs etc.) No compaction is needed. I set the walls and poured the pool floor on this material.

you can check out my build thread here with lots of pics.
a-newbie-diy-pool-build-t26357.html

Since you already will have a stone sump well under your pool I would add a well point to pump out any ground water if necessary. It will only cost you the price of the pump and the pipe to set it in. this will allow you to pump out any ground water that may be around the pool at any time including for liner replacement.

Butcher said:
Here is a pool installation manual that recommends using 3/4 stone under a pool over dig if required for wet soil conditions. Read page 28

http://www.penguinpool.com/images/steel-install.pdf

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Butcher.. They are actually backfilling today with the 3/4 gravel... Did you have a deep end on your pool? That is the other issue, building up the shelf on the deep end, we are planning on forming it and pouring in some concrete for the wall to sit on...

Did you end up doing your own vermiculite on the bottom? I saw you were conteplating doing it yourself in a post.... Our GC plans on doing that part of it, I almost would rather have a mason do that sort of thing so that it is a real smooth surface.... I appreciate all your help! I only saw two pics on the link you posted for your pool, is their another thread?

mory said:
Butcher said:
Here is a pool installation manual that recommends using 3/4 stone under a pool over dig if required for wet soil conditions. Read page 28

Hope this helps.

Okay, I found your pics, it would be helpful if I went to the next page.. oops.. Okay, I plan on reading you entire thread since it sounds very similiar to our situation....

Since you already will have a stone sump well under your pool I would add a well point to pump out any ground water if necessary. It will only cost you the price of the pump and the pipe to set it in. this will allow you to pump out any ground water that may be around the pool at any time including for liner replacement.

If you have time to catch it, I really like this advice. I have land shaped such that I could do a french drain just like Butcher's wellpoint suggestion.

I cannot tell you how many thousands and thousands of gallons it has automatically removed from the perimeter of my pool. It has been a HUGE benefit.

duraleigh said:

If you have time to catch it, I really like this advice. I have land shaped such that I could do a french drain just like Butcher's wellpoint suggestion.

I cannot tell you how many thousands and thousands of gallons it has automatically removed from the perimeter of my pool. It has been a HUGE benefit.

I have two pumps set up. a smaller one down deep with a garden hose on it that runs 24/7 and one a bit higher but still about 1 foot below the deep end that only comes on when it rains. The smaller one with the garden hose will be hooked up to a timer later when everything is completed to water the plants around the pool.

mory said:
mory said:
Butcher said:

Hope this helps.

Okay, I found your pics, it would be helpful if I went to the next page.. oops.. Okay, I plan on reading you entire thread since it sounds very similiar to our situation....

No problem, If you have any questions PM or post away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.