Some ph and alk questions

impvme

Oct 15, 2010
Hi,

A newbe here on pool care. Been fighting the green goop for about 3 weeks and now I think iv'e killed it all used clarifier, algeacide, brushed the pool and just need to vac it. After testing everything seems to be ok but the ph and ta....last readings are below. I will be getting the acid tomorrow to lower the pH etc. The pool is plaster, tile trim, cement deck, irregular shape but close to kidney, about 15000 gal
My questions: Are the test strips with the multiple indicators reliable. 2. Will a floating fountain provide enought aeration or can I use a submersible pound pump that moves 1200 GPH that has a fountain attachment. 3. Can you swim in this pool with these readings?

FC 3
TCL 2
Alk 200
CyA 120
pH 7.8
TH 450

Thanks for any help
impvme

impvme said:
My questions: Are the test strips with the multiple indicators reliable. 2. Will a floating fountain provide enought aeration or can I use a submersible pound pump that moves 1200 GPH that has a fountain attachment. 3. Can you swim in this pool with these readings?

FC 3
TCL 2
Alk 200
CyA 120
pH 7.8
TH 450

Thanks for any help
impvme

Welcome to TFP :wave:
1) No
2) Just continue lowering PH to 7.5 with acid and TA will come down over time. Aeration raises PH and does not affect TA.
3) you can, but I wouldn't as I'm not convinced your done shocking.

with CYA at 120.(if that's even close to correct) FC should be around 10pppm and CC 0.5 or less and you should be able to pass the overnight fc loss test.

Take a read through pool school (button on upper right) and strongly consider getting a test kit such as the TF100 or Taylor K2006. They are recommended here and compared in an article in the school :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.