Change fairly new pool over to SWCG now (end of season)?

Hello,

Our pool here outside of Austin, TX was finished in mid/late July of this year, so it is still fairly new.
I have been using liquid chlorine and the BBB method since we put water in it.

I planned on starting up the SWG after 30 days as instructed, however I was missing a flow switch. I just picked it up the other day.

I'm going to go ahead and have the flow switch plumbed in, and I have all the salt in the garage. My question is, should I go ahead
and switch over to salt, even though use of the pool is essentially over for this year? We'll still be using the spa of course.
Looking for reasons to switch on the SWG, both for and against, late in the year.

Thanks!

Even though the season is over and you may not be swimming in the pool the pool still needs chlorine, unless you are going to close it. That said, you can add the salt and swg to keep up the chlorine over the winter. Curious about the flow switch, why do you need one? Mine is hooked up to the timer and only comes on when the timer turns on and it has it's own flow sensor.

Thanks for the advice - I'll go ahead and fire up the SWG and add the salt then.

benavidescj - my SWG is a Hayward Aquapure - it requires a flow switch plumbed into the line (either immediately before or after the SWG) so that the controller knows to turn it on. My guess is that if the pump was running, but there was an obstruction and water was not flowing through the SWG, it could cause problems if it ran. Seems like a remote possibility and the flow switch was ~$80, but it won't run without it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.