Solar cover: what to do with it?

mart242

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2010
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I've got a big solar cover and a rocky roller. I've rolled the clean cover on the roller and wrapped it with a tarp but what should I do for winter? I was thinking of removing the ends of the roller to protect them from winter (storing them in shed) and leaving the cover + tube on the deck all winter. Would that be the way to go?

Thanks

Redbull said:
We had the exact same storage question. Last year we rigged up a contraption to suspend it from our garage ceiling. Too hard to get up and down. What do you use as a "winter cover"?

On my solar blanket? A cheap tarp that I cut to fit and sealed with duct tape. Far from a waterproof seal but it should keep most of it out..

I've been a lurker on this wonderful site for over a year now and finally seeking advice I didn't find anywhere here.

I recently purchased a 16mil clear cover with reel for my in-ground pool. What should I cover it with when rolled up in the sun? I've had trouble finding white plastic sheeting that my father used to protect the pool cover when I was a kid. I picked up an all-purpose UV-protected 5.5mil blue plastic tarp from Home Depot, but my rolled-up cover still cooks underneath that tarp so think I really need white to reflect the sun's radiant heat. I live near Sacramento, California where the temps commonly reach around 100F during the summer.

Is white plastic best? What about using white cotton fabric sheets? Where to buy them?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.