Replastered pool--start-up help?

coreyoreo

LifeTime Supporter
Hello..
So my Pool builder just completed 5-day water start up service last friday, (10/8) after fantastic replastering job, turned the pool over to me, but now isn't very helpful as far as what I need to do to get the water chemicals up to specs.

Obviously, I need to add chemicals. I've been brushing it everyday, still plenty of dust flying up, so I know I'll need to keep brushing for several days. At this point, I've added no chemicals.

Is there a rule of thumb to follow as far as the chemical adding procedure itself? i.e., what to add first, second, etc.?

P.S. I know it's late in the season, but in Southern California, not many people close their pools for the winter.

Thanks for any help!
Corey

Hey Corey, The best thing you can do is read Pool School and maintain the chem levels recommended there.

pH and chlorine are the first and most important items to test. I assume you have a TF-100 test kit??
Test your pH first and adjust it as required.
You're surely going to need some chlorine in there now. Without any CYA yet you need to maintain about 4ppm.
Then add some CYA in there to get you to about 40ppm. I assume also that you don't have a SWCG.
Then test everything else and post back the numbers.

Did they brush vacuum the pool after the re-plaster? You really shouldn't have any dust (to speak of) coming up anymore.

Chemicals start now and go on forever! If you don't have a good test kit, you're gonna guess at where you are and where you need to be. Stay accurate now and going forward and you will be just fine.

Where's the pictures :lol: :lol:

Bama Rambler said:
Hey Corey, The best thing you can do is read Pool School and maintain the chem levels recommended there.

pH and chlorine are the first and most important items to test. I assume you have a TF-100 test kit??
Test your pH first and adjust it as required.
You're surely going to need some chlorine in there now. Without any CYA yet you need to maintain about 4ppm.
Then add some CYA in there to get you to about 40ppm. I assume also that you don't have a SWCG.
Then test everything else and post back the numbers.

Thanks, Bama, & Simicrintz. Yup, I shore do have a TF-100 test kit right beside me as I type, but no, I don't have a swcg.

I did test my water saturday at Leslie's & here are the results:
FC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 80
CH: 200
CYA: 0

I'll test as you said. Thanks for the help again!!

simicrintz said:
Did they brush vacuum the pool after the re-plaster? You really shouldn't have any dust (to speak of) coming up anymore.

Chemicals start now and go on forever! If you don't have a good test kit, you're gonna guess at where you are and where you need to be. Stay accurate now and going forward and you will be just fine.

Where's the pictures :lol: :lol:

Yes, they brushed everyday for 5 days (I have video of them at least walking into the back yard with a brush & a bucket of chemicals) & added some sort of acid. Or so I think that's what they said they were gonna do. I wasn't here when they did that. I'm guessing to help w/ the plaster dust??

I did brush again tonight, (tue) & there's still much dust flying up.

I assume I'll just keep brushing til no more dust flys up.

Pics on the way, start-to-finish, if I can figure out how to put pics up...

Thanks again for your help.

Corey, your pH is low, you need to bring it up to about 7.5. Also, you need to add bleach to your pool, your FC reading (if correct) is 0 which means you have no sanitizer in the pool and will get algae if you don't. Also, your CYA is 0 and you will have a hard time maintaining your chlorine level if you don't increase it. Bring it up to about 40ppm. But change your pH first. Did you read pool school yet?

Thanks, Carlos, yes I did read & am using the Pool School pages.

I've initally added chlorine(1.5 gal) & CYA (4.0 lbs, powder form). I do intend to follow the BBB method as soon as I get the levels up to par.

Here's the first results per my TF-100 test kit after initial addition of chemicals & filtration time:

FC: 4.0
CC: .5
TC: 4.5
pH: 7.6
T/A: 90
CH: 170
CYA: 20-30

I'm also still kicking up some plaster dust daily, but it does seem to be slowly dissipating. I've been told by my pool builder to run my kreepy crawler over the weekend to help in picking up the dust.

Any comments/suggestions?

Corey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you did the overnight test, and you lost some FC, then it is something other than the sun 'cuz the sun ain't out at night :cool:

You're doing fine :goodjob: I'm still a little perplexed that the pool builder/plaster company did not do a brush vac. That would have picked up +/- 90% of the plaster dust. You shouldn't be having this to deal with, but it sounds like you are getting it under control.

Keep the chems up and spend some time in Pool School. The more you read the more confident you'll be! You can do it!!

simicrintz said:
If you did the overnight test, and you lost some FC, then it is something other than the sun 'cuz the sun ain't out at night :cool:

You're doing fine :goodjob: I'm still a little perplexed that the pool builder/plaster company did not do a brush vac. That would have picked up +/- 90% of the plaster dust. You shouldn't be having this to deal with, but it sounds like you are getting it under control.

Keep the chems up and spend some time in Pool School. The more you read the more confident you'll be! You can do it!!

Thanks for the pat on the back! I really wanna learn. I'll do the over night test again & see if the same thing happens.

The pool builder did come by & sweep for 5 days following the re-fill, (I have video survelience of this) & I think they vacuumed twice. I've vacuumed once, myself.

Maybe I'm brushing too hard? I'm using a standard nylon brush. I don't wanna think the plaster's bad somehow... :?

Ok, Pool School's in session all weekend for me! Thak you!! I'll report back.

Corey

I was told by Diamond Brite crew to:

1. Brush daily
2. Maintain PH for 30 days at 7.0, then bring up to 7.4 -- 7.6.
3. Do not run any type of automatic cleaner for 45 days
4. Maintain recommended chlorine and add CYA slowly over 30 days.

They have done all my pools for 30 years. Same company.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.