LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2008
North Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine

Our contractor started replastering at the end of April. The replaster completed in May. Everyone agreed it wasn't a good job. A few weeks of an acid bath (no circulation, however), didn't improve things much.

Contractor sub-bed out an acid wash, and the guys did a partial acid wash (pool was empty). The streaks from this is part of the problem. This occurred in June.

Results after the work was complete, after an acid bath (no circulation however), and a partial acid wash are shown in photos if I've loaded them correctly. Plaster shows uneven color, strike marks, stains, and splotches.

The subcontractor told our contractor that they can't do another acid wash because this would affect integrity of the plaster and it’s adhesion.

I can't see how adhesion is an issue. If the plaster was installed correctly, it's hard to understand how its integrity would be affected.

As an experiment, I tried some of Jack's miracle stuff (for copper and calcium deposits) and the proper color came out. The difference is like the attached photo of the shelf near the spa but the color difference in that photo was from the guys leaning on the shelf (rag in hand) while acid washing. (vignette: the guys doing the acid wash had NO hand, eye, face, or breathing protection. Tsk, Tsk)

I'm thinking Jack's will do what we need (and we won't have to worry about plaster on our patio pavers, driveway, and lawn). Or, is the subcontractor correct about the adhesion and integrity of the new plaster and we need to replaster?

What say y'all?

AJGIII

Attachments

• Discoloration on shelf  6-10-10 copy.jpg
    Discoloration on shelf 6-10-10 copy.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Deep end Splotch  6-10-10 copy.jpg
    Deep end Splotch 6-10-10 copy.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Deep end--far wall  6-10-10 copy.jpg
    Deep end--far wall 6-10-10 copy.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 163
Thanks for the response, however, my question was is why is a replaster needed?

Why not use the Jack's Magic "Copper and Scale Stuff" since it worked on the shelf (see photo below).

J.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.