Need recommendations for solar cover with bubbles that last

kabbak

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 2, 2010
"Lamorinda" California
After two covers from the same vendor (they replaced 1st for free) in four months I again need a new solar cover. The bubbles in these have collapsed leaving only a narrow ridge around bubble perimeter. Cover sinks below surface and doesn't heat much. Claimed 12 mil thickness though thinner than that everywhere I measure with a micrometer.
My chlorine levels are low, if anything, and cover is on the pool about 99% of the time (sadly ;)).

So, any recommendations for a clear, solar cover that lasts? Anyone had good experience with Midwest Canvas covers lasting?
Let me emphasize that by "lasts" I mean the bubbles stay inflated, airtight and float.
Thanks so much!

I had a 12 mil clear cover from this company which lasted me a little over 3 years but I didn't use it continuously. This year I got a blue 8 mil version and it is definitely thinner and more easily damaged but seems to be still fairly good quality. Time will tell on this one but it has lasted at least this season and should be able to use it next season.

mas985 said:
I had a 12 mil clear cover from this company which lasted me a little over 3 years but I didn't use it continuously. This year I got a blue 8 mil version and it is definitely thinner and more easily damaged but seems to be still fairly good quality. Time will tell on this one but it has lasted at least this season and should be able to use it next season.

Hi Mark.
So your cover's bubbles are still airtight and not collapsed?
Why did you change vendors?
Thanks!

I didn't change vendors. I bought my new cover from the same company. I just decided to try a lighter cover to see if it was easier to handle and it is but at the expense of duribility. The bubbles seem to be holding up ok with just a few that have broken but that was my fault for pulling over the deck. After this cover I may decide to go back to 12 mil because it is a little tougher. Also, the salt residue from my SWG is not as noticable on a clear cover as it is a blue cover.

mas985 said:
I didn't change vendors. I bought my new cover from the same company. I just decided to try a lighter cover to see if it was easier to handle and it is but at the expense of duribility. The bubbles seem to be holding up ok with just a few that have broken but that was my fault for pulling over the deck. After this cover I may decide to go back to 12 mil because it is a little tougher. Also, the salt residue from my SWG is not as noticable on a clear cover as it is a blue cover.

Sorry re the vendors. I didn't read carefully enough. Glad to hear your cover is holding up. Mine had a few bubbles that were NOT broken :(
Do you cover your cover (weird) when off the water?
Thanks again.

No, I don't cover it but it is up against the fence on the north side so somewhat protected from the direct sun.

Anybody else have a decent experience with their solar blanket, pool cover?
Thanks!
This is *really* late for this thread but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth for future answer-seekers.

I live a bit North of Atlanta, Georgia and bought my cover from Leslie's Pools online in June of 2012 shortly after my salt-water pool went into service.

It is a blue "5-Year Solar Blanket" sized 12' x 32' and cut it down to the 11 1/2' x 28' that is my pool size.

I couldn't find any record of the cover thickness in my purchase recoreds but based on the "5-Year" part and what Leslies is selling today, I'm guessing it to be 12 mil.

It's now July of 2018 and, while some of the bubbles started failing toward the end of last year, it just really started to fall apart this year.

So I absolutely can't complain about longevity having gotten just over 6 years of use out of it.

I leave my pool open year round with this cover on it regularly from about mid October through to about mid June.
The house does shade the pool until late morning, beyond that it is in the sun all day albeit within a Lanai so that will provide some relief from the direct sun.
I leave the cover off entirely from June through October due to the esthetics and because I'm in and out of the pool enough that it's just a nuisance to mess with it. Also the temperatures are such that heat retention is only really an issue during the fringe months.

I use a reel to pull it off and put it back on again.

I'm just now looking to get a replacement and see a *lot* of bad experiences out there so I wanted to share my circumstances and experience in case it can help anybody else.

Looking at the Leslie reviews it may be a different ball game these days. I ended up going for the "459848 - Sun2Solar® Supreme Blue Solar Cover 14' x 28' Rectangular 12 Mil" from "In the Swim Pool supplies" via Amazon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.