Best thing to clean tiles on an indoor pool?

Hilton

In The Industry
Jun 15, 2010
Anyone have some experience with keeping tiles looking nice and clean? I'm trying to find a better product to clean the tiles around my indoor pool rooms with. I get daily white marks across all the tiles, likely from calcium or possibly salt, but I can't seem to get them to dissipate much. I mop, scrub, use a variety of cleaners, but they mostly never disappear. Worse, in the low spots and near drains, I get a lot of very thick scale build-up - but its so smooth I can't scrape it off.

The only thing I've seen do anything really noticable as far as reducing the thick buildups and actually removing the marks on the tiles is half diluted muriatic acid... but I think it was also destroying the grout (only tried it once). Most of the commercial tile cleaning products out there seem to be phosphoric acid based, or similar, and require mopping at least one more time with a separate, neutralizing cleaner to neutralize the acid left behind. Not my first choice! :)

Any suggestions on what else to try? I've been using a cleaner that is roughly 10% "sulfamic acid" and 10% "hydroxyacetic acid", but it is not doing a very good job.

I don't know what else to do.

Hilton said:
Anyone have some experience with keeping tiles looking nice and clean? I'm trying to find a better product to clean the tiles around my indoor pool rooms with. I get daily white marks across all the tiles, likely from calcium or possibly salt, but I can't seem to get them to dissipate much. I mop, scrub, use a variety of cleaners, but they mostly never disappear. Worse, in the low spots and near drains, I get a lot of very thick scale build-up - but its so smooth I can't scrape it off.

The only thing I've seen do anything really noticable as far as reducing the thick buildups and actually removing the marks on the tiles is half diluted muriatic acid... but I think it was also destroying the grout (only tried it once). Most of the commercial tile cleaning products out there seem to be phosphoric acid based, or similar, and require mopping at least one more time with a separate, neutralizing cleaner to neutralize the acid left behind. Not my first choice! :)

Any suggestions on what else to try? I've been using a cleaner that is roughly 10% "sulfamic acid" and 10% "hydroxyacetic acid", but it is not doing a very good job.

I don't know what else to do.
Muriatic acid in a spray bottle diluted 5:1 works great. If it keeps coming back, it sounds like your Ph/TA is too high. Can you post full test results? Have you run your numbers through the pool calculator?

I've used "Biodex 300" tile cleaner on several pools with very, very good results. Use a BBQ grill plastic scubber and some elbow grease when using it and you should be happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.