I lost 3" water in 6 hours

Oct 7, 2010
Hi People,

Figured Id try this forum for my problem. Pool pump runs well but last day or so of filtering I lost a whopping 3" or so of water! Checked the "spider" gasket under sand filter valve, its ok. It was new early summer. Cant find any other leaks. Have 2 wear spots on base of pool (marcite) Could it be draining from there? Those spots have been there for years.....yes, they are getting worse.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Does it lose more with the pump running than with it off?

Have you checked around the equipment pad for damp places?

Give us a little more info and we can help you find where it's going.

Wow.....so much help here!! Sorry for delay, people....I had an errand to run.

It loses water only while pump running, I believe. No water signs anywhere (spills, puddles, etc).

I can not see into the waste line....it goes into the ground and gets lost somewhere on the large property. I know it does NOT drain in the sewer......

Thanks!

I know that when I backwash, the cylindrical gllass "window" shows dirty water/sediment swirling around before it gets dumped, I guess. Well, that glass see thru does not have water visible during the pump running/loss of water, if that says anything. (I believe that IS the wast tube/drain line, eh?)

The sight glass you're talking about is the waste line. Just because you can't see any water in it when you're running normally doesn't mean that it's not leaking some water out. It's up on the side of the pipe so if there was a trickle of water out it, you wouldn't see it. You can remove it and shine a flashlight in there while running the filter and maybe see if any water is leaking out the waste line.

Bama Rambler said:
The sight glass you're talking about is the waste line. Just because you can't see any water in it when you're running normally doesn't mean that it's not leaking some water out. It's up on the side of the pipe so if there was a trickle of water out it, you wouldn't see it. You can remove it and shine a flashlight in there while running the filter and maybe see if any water is leaking out the waste line.

Good tip, Bama. I will try this tomorrow in the daylight. So, I should be able to just unscrew that glass, counter clockwise? Might it be cemented in?

vln said:
Does it stop losing water below the skimmer/returns?

Hmmm, goos point, vin. Right now, its not so bad that the water level is below the side wall skimmer. So, could that indicate a possible problem with the skimmer then? If so, where would the water go, I mean, would it be wet/puddle anywhere?

Thaks!!

PS : I have stopped everything right now pending advice.........

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thats alot of water to lose in 6 hrs...

if your 100% positive no leakage from backwash line, seems to me you may wanna have a professional do a pressure test to your underground plumbing lines.

Check online for pool companies in your area with good customer reviews..googlmaps is a good place to start. Dont just hire the first one you speak to. Feel them out... ask a few questions on the phone.

OK, update: The pool is in limbo, I am just watching it......hoping for a clue as to what to do next. Water level is lower every day, pump off/not running anymore, also because the water level is below the intake on the side of the pool.

Water yesterday was at the top side of the round underwater light. Today it is say, 1/2" below.a FRIEND SAID HIS POOL leaked and the pool guy found a bad gasket at the light. But, in my case, I doubt it as the light has nothing to do with the motor running and accelerating the water loss, right?? I mean, what would the light/gasket have to do with draining WHILE the pump runs?

It might be possible to have multiple leaks. A small one at the light and a larger one in the plumbing. It could also be a fluke that the water seemed to leak more with the pump running than with it stopped.

Wait and see if the leak stops at or near the bottom of the light and that'll at least let you know if the light is part of the problem.

I know you said there is no puddle or wet area around equipment, but TWICE this year my screw cap located at bottom side of sand filter cracked and had a slow leak- drip. There wasn't alot of wetness, just a bit. I thought I had a plumbing leak, too. I was filling about 2 inches/week, which is what I usually fill in a month of DRY weather. My point is, double check topside equipment. Hope this helps and good luck.

All this advise sounds right, always check to see where the water stops leaking. IE: Skimmer, light, then main drain? If the water stops at the skimmer and it's not the skimmer, you can hire a leak detector to come out and do a full inspection of your pool. Good luck!

OK, now Im well into my research on the leaky pool source, and heres where Im at: The water level seems to have stopped almost completely (except for residual evaporation, maybe 1/16" per day??), and the water is now at the bottom of the light. Looks like the light is the source , educated guess. So, I have little to lose by replacing gasket, and hey, the bulb was dead, so Ill put in a new one too. Now, I have to reach down the total length of my arms to undo it.

I will shut off breaker, and see what is inside there. lets say the leak WAS the gasket. Why would the leakage apparently flow greater with the pool pump on??? Thats what puzzles me. Also, once water seeps through that gasket, where does it go? Into the dirt?

Thankjs!

Your description of the light has a me a little confused. Also, i cant tell from your post's but is this a concrete pool or fiberglass? The niche that your light fits into is usually a wet niche. In other words, there is supposed to be water in there. I'm not sure of the gasket you mention. Usually, the gasket on a light keeps water out of the fixture itself. A bad gasket will only let water into the light housing, but wouldnt cause a leak. The main cause of a leak around a light is either
1) a cracked housing allowing water to leak out that way, or

2) a cracked conduit that goes out the back of the housing. The conduit leads to a deck box that connects to the main line back to the power source. If the conduit is cracked, water will leak out the back of the light niche.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.