Pressure side flow problem

Jun 2, 2010
Orlando
I have a problem with flow to my spa jets that seems like an obstruction. Normal water flow to my pool and spa returns is fine, but when in spa mode (suction side valve turned to spa return and pressure side return valve turned to the spa jets) my filter pressure goes way up and I'm getting very reduced flow from all the spa jets. I opened the pressure side return valve up and it is fine. Fed my shop vac down about 2 feet into the line and sucked out a few gallons of water, but that's it. I'm worried that something from my heater came loose and went down the pipe. Any help greatly appreciated.

There shouldn't be any thing in the heater that could break off and go into the piping.

You could disconnect the piping at the heater and use a drain King to blow water backward thru the suspected lines.

Did you build the pool? What jets are in the spa? If your answer is "No, I didn't build it so IDK", please post a picture.

How many jets?

It is not unusual for a pool filter's pressure to rise in spa mode, especially with a 2 HP. Has it been like this all along, did you just notice, or is this a new behavior?

Scott

If your increased pressure is when only in spa mode, check the orifice of each jet for some kind of blockage i.e. rock or other debris. It is possible to get debris in an otherwise "clean" plumbing line through the jets air line, or if the filter element was removed (for cleaning) and some debris fell into the clean water return port. best way to check is with the pump off, get a small mirror and look into the jet. you may see a hole about 3/8 of an inch. That is the jet orifice, and your looking for something stuck in it. sometimes you can dislodge it with a screwdriver, or you may need to take the orifice out to clean it.

Do you know where the air line is for the jets? Some older pools had them in the deck, just above the jets them selves, the air line was just cut flush with the deck, and very easy to get pebbles in them.

Thanks for the replies guys.

The low pressure is the same at all 4 of the spa jets. I call them jets. but they're really just openings with a collar. They look similar to pool returns without the directional eyeballs in place. With a 2hp pump the spa jets used to be VERY powerful and now the flow at a spa jet is not even as much as a normal pool return. I have a 36" waterfall returning to the pool that consumes a lot of gpm so the flow at a pool return has always been much less than at a spa jet.

I have a blower for the spa sitting on a standpipe about 3 feet above ground and it has a clear in-line anti-siphon valve right below it that I believe would keep anything from getting in that way.

I had the pool built about 10 years ago and have never experienced this type of problem. I'm really stumped.

Bama Rambler, what is a Drain King? I'm thinking my only option is to get some threaded unions and caps and unscrew and cap 3 of the 4 spa jets, drain the spa, then remove the top of the jandy valve that feeds the spa and blow the main pipe out from the one remaining open spa jet.

All ideas appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.