Liquidator flows

mikesla

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 1, 2010
tuscaloosa, al
Anyone know what the units are on the supplied flowmeter? Does a setting of "3" equal something like 3 cc/s? Or maybe 3 cubic inches/s? Mine is so erratic i'm thinking of replacing both the flow meter and the control valve with something a bit more "regular" and need some sizing info. I guess I can breakdown and just pull the inlet tube and stick it in a quart of water and see how long it takes...

I don't even have mine on my LQ anymore, since it really did not do much other than give a quick visual. I tend to check my FC every day (or every other day, on occasion), so the ball doesn't mean much to me.

I like to keep my FC at 7, and I crack my flow valve about half way to achieve that. Once you get it pretty close the flow meter (IMHO) doesn't have much value!

The flow meter is actually supposed to be cc/min but the label is just stuck on so it's not very accurate. It's more of a guesstimation (is that a word???).

I tested mine is how I came up with that number. Also, CCM is a standard low flow rotameter scale.

Please let me know if you find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that reads that low.

I put a Hayward needle valve on mine to adjust the flow and would highly recommend it over the quarter turn valve. I got mine at Drillspot, they had the best price.

Bama Rambler said:
The flow meter is actually supposed to be cc/min but the label is just stuck on so it's not very accurate. It's more of a guesstimation (is that a word???).

I tested mine is how I came up with that number. Also, CCM is a standard low flow rotameter scale.

Please let me know if you find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that reads that low.

I put a Hayward needle valve on mine to adjust the flow and would highly recommend it over the quarter turn valve. I got mine at Drillspot, they had the best price.

Dave, what did you do to measure the volume of the flow? Put the suction in a measured volume of water and compare after x mins?

Also does anyone know what the concentration of the CL is in the output? I tried measuring a sample but it turned clear as soon as I turned on the quick stir...I tried adding more powder but I stopped adding drops at what would be 30 ppm...I'm thinking I should have diluted the sample?

I measured it in a round about way because the flow meter isn't really a cc/min flowmeter. The best thing to do is not worry about what the values are but use the numbers to go from where you are to where you need to be. And they're good when restarting the system because you know where you were so you can go back there.

I've never measured the concentration out of the LQ so I don't know what the exact number is. As long as the FC was correct in the pool that's all I needed to know.

It's going to be a very high FC. I have no idea of the flow rate through The Liquidator, but say it was 100 times lower than the main GPM rate in the circulation system and let's assume that one has the pump on (and therefore The Liquidator adding chlorine) for one turnover per day. If we assume a chlorine demand of 2 ppm FC, then this means the output from the liquidator would have to be 200 ppm FC. If the flow rate were 1000 times lower than the main circulation GPM, then the FC would be 2000 ppm.

Note that when you increase the flow rate through The Liquidator, the FC out of The Liquidator drops somewhat, but not as much as the flow rate changes so the net effect is that a higher flow rate through The Liquidator adds more chlorine to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.