New Plaster vs. Solar Heating System

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
My pool-shaped hole in the ground is going to be plastered and filled this week. I know that I'll have to brush it twice a day for a few weeks to get a smooth finish and have the plaster cure properly, but when I was looking through the manual supplied by the pool company there was a blurb about turning on the heating system.

It said, if you have a gas heater you have to wait 30 days to turn it on, but if you have a heat pump you can turn it on immediately. I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that you couldn't run the heater becuase the plaster dust kicked up from the brushing would ruin it. I also figured that somehow a heat pump could handle the plaster dust.

Anyhow, in my pool the only heating that I have is solar so I'm wondering if there's a problem with running the solar heater as soon as the pool is filled or do I have to wait 30 days like I would for a gas heater?

I personally would bypass any ancillary equipment for the first 30 days just to be sure the plaster dust didn't adhere to the internal parts and cause issues down the road. However, with a DE filter (operating correctly), there's almost no chance of that happening and if your solar heater is plumbed correctly you're safe running it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.