Pool closing

May 17, 2010
Want to close pool this weekend but tested yesterday after a lot of rain this week and need to shock 1.0 CC. Should I go ahead and shock tonight or wait till Wednesday so I can close this weekend with the shock being done closer to closing or shock tonight? Also have a tear about six inches across in the corner of the vinyl liner. Should I repair when I lower the water before closing. I have Myer cover. Is it necessary to drain the water that gets through the cover during the winter? It's usually quite high when I open but use that water to backwash during opening and I don't need to add. Thanks for any help.

FC 12.0
CC 1.0
PH 7.5
TA 90
CYA 70
CH 230
Temp 71

I'd go ahead and shock because you don't know how long it's going to take to complete the shock process. It may only take a couple of days and it may take more, especially in colder temps. Even if you finish early all you need to do is let the FC come down a day or two then boost it right before closing.

As long as it doesn't get high enough to get over behind the liner it shouldn't matter if the level raises. Using it to backwash is a good idea.

A little water shouldn't be a problem but you don't want enough getting behind there to wash out anything.

PM Waste (Ted) and see if he'll give you advice on whether to repair the liner now or wait till the spring.

Waste is his user name. PM is private message. Go to user control panel and there's an option to PM someone. Just put his user name in there and write him a short message and he might have time to respond. He's one of the resident vinyl liner experts.

I have a tear in the corner about 3-4 inches from the top that's 6 inches? running horizontal. The vinyl at this corner is not tight but cuts the corner if that makes any sense. The liner is about 10+ years old we are the second owners. Should I try and patch during closing this year or in the spring? I can see some water that has gone down the back of the whole can I vacuum this out? thanks for your help.

Koliver13

Thanks for the PM to get my attention :goodjob:

I would patch the liner now (info in patching a liner can be found here)

I would also remove whatever water you can before doing the patch. In addition, I'd patch the back of the liner when you lowered the water to close the pool and then tack the liner back in (info on how-to here.

Are you near Richmond? If so, I might know the folks who built your pool :cool:

A patch applied both behind and on the interior surface would increase the chances of the liner lasting another 2 -5 years before needing to be replaced :party: :whoot: This puts you to a ~ normal life expectancy of a liner :cheers:

I hope you know we'll always be here to help/ answer your questions :cool:

Thanks for the help. When you say patch behind I guess I would need to take the top out of the track first patch the back then put back in track and patch the front. Is this correct? I live outside of Charlottesville and second owner of pool don't know who built.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.