Trying to find a test kit & liquid Chlorine in South Africa

dhulls

Sep 13, 2010
Lesotho, Africa
Tomorrow I head off on a quick trip to South Africa to try and find a test kit and some other things for my pool. The only test kits I have seen before are a really simple 4 in 1 test kit. I don't even know of any dedicated pool stores in the area. If I take a water sample with me will it still be ok after about 4-6 hours in the car? Hopefully I will find what I am looking for. I have called all around and nobody sells liquid chlorine in country. They all say it is far to dangerous to use. So I called around and have found some bulk Sodium hypochlorite but the cost is prohibitive. I think my only other option is a SWG which I hope to find as well. Anybody lived in South Africa with a pool and has advice? Thanks

Good luck finding what you need. We were watching a show yesterday about South Africa and just happened to see an HTH carboy being used as a container so it's obviously available. That's probably the bulk chlorine you were told about. Just remember, if bulk 12.5% costs twice as much per unit as 6% it still the same price in use.

dhulls said:
I forgot to mention that the bulk I found was only 6%. The bleach you buy in the store is listed as <3%. 25 liters of 6% bleach is about 30 dollars. I figure it might be better in the long run to just go with a SWG.

Although a salt water generator maybe your best option, you will still need a source of acid to keep the PH under control.
Try looking for comercial cleaning companies, they use strong chlorine bleach (9.6%) and usually have acid available for cleaning cement off brick work or try a builders merchant for the acid.

Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.