Pump pressure increasing rapidly

rohan

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2009
Not sure why, but over the last few weeks, I am seeing an increase in my pool pump pressure over a matter of days instead of the normal weeks. When clean (or after a backwash) I run at about 13-14. And I can usually go 3-6 months without a backwash triggered by rising pressure to about 20. Now, I go from 13-14 to 18-20 in 2-4 days. I have recently switched to Bioguard Maintain Ecoclean DE and with a 36 filter typically use 2 scoops after a backwash to replenish. I also recently used a stronger detergent (purchased at the pool store) straight into the pump basket to loosen and breakdown any tough debris on the filter. But I am still needing to lower the pressure by backwashing atleast once a week if not more often. Any ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks for the help.

It sounds like your filter is simply doing it's job. From somewhere, extra debris is being brought into the filter and it is clogging and getting full very fast.

It is probably dead algae. A set of test results would help us offer further advice.

Had to backwash again today - 2 days after the last backwash. Pressure was up to around 25. I'm not in town to perform a TFtestKit full result, but will do so over the weekend. I'm wondering if I am putting in too much of the ecoclean DE. Instructions say 1 scoop per 12 sq ft of filter, so I use 2 cups which is around 80% of the normal quantity after the backwash. Any more thoughts?

I imagine that it's like Duraleigh says in that you have a larger than normal debris load, or that it's time to disassemble the filter and give it a thorough cleaning. DE can get caked on internally, which reduces the available filter area making your filter act like a small DE filter.

Had a similar issue with my cartridge filter last year. Someone suggested, like Duraleigh, that it might be dead algae and that if I raised my FC to the 8-10 range and held it there for a while, it might help. I was skeptical since the water looked clear but I tried it anyway... that did the trick. The filter started staying clean within a week or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.