Leaky Seal?

Jul 25, 2010
Folks,
What could cause a leak in a Polaris pump other than the seal?
Had small leak, replaced the seal. Am still getting small leak from the where the motor shaft enters the rear of the seal assy. I replaced the small o ring on the motor shaft when I replaced the seal. The motor is around 10 yrs old. Can the shaft itself actually wear to the point there is play between shaft and seal and that is why it leaks? Or have I just replaced a bad seal with another bad seal? One thing I noticed on the replacement seal was that the white ceramic piece was not flat. It looked to me like it had a very small chamfer on one side.
Thanks
:roll:

Did you apply a bead of silicone to the area shown (pic) on the seal before pressing it in?

IMG_0195.jpg

Also, Did the ceramic piece fit snuggly into the impeller? If the seal had heated up, sometimes it will misshape the impeller, and cause water to leak past the outside of the ceramic boot. If you can see grooves in this area (pointing),made by the ceramic's boot, or if that area isn't perfectly round, you will need to replace the impeller. Picture is of a new impeller, and does not show the grooves i speak of.
IMG_0190.jpg

The seal is the only place the water can leak out by the shaft. A chamfer around the edge of the ceramic part won't be a problem. The carbon and ceramic surfaces should be smooth and free of any debris. Even touching the surfaces with a dirty finger is enough to ruin it if it's not perfectly clean before assembly.

The seal plate or bracket could be cracked where the seal goes in as well. If the crack is at the top, water can run down on to the seal, and shaft, and appear that the seal is leaking. Are you actually looking inside the bracket, and see the water at the seal? Or are you seeing water drip off the volute (bottom of the pump)?

Folks,
I very much appreciate the replies, especially the pics.
The impeller is about one year old. I didn’t notice any damage to the inside of it when I took it apart, but I would need to pull apart to be sure. I did use a bead of silicone sealant on the metal body before I tapped it home. It’s the same sealant the pool supplier used when I had them push the seal home in the past. This one I did myself with a 1 inch piece of PVC pipe. It went in easy, no damage to the seal as far as I can tell. I did steer well clear of touching the surfaces. I’m seeing the leak coming from the shaft when the pump is running. It sounds like I may have to get another seal or at least check the fitting of the one I’ve just installed.

Regards

Pool Pump Gremlins have been at work. I’m certain the original seal was leaking. When I replaced the seal and powered her up, it was dry. About 1 hour later the area around the pump was wet and I saw a small puddle of water inside the plastic casting just below the motor shaft and concluded my replacement seal was faulty. Not so………I also have a leak coming from the little threaded plug on the front of the pump. The seal I’ve put in is not leaking. Maybe the small puddle of water is from start up and it settling in. I watched it for five minutes or so and did not see any drops of water coming from the shaft. The threaded plug on the front of the pump I’ve attended to with ptfe tape and silicone sealant. Thanks for all the help. I’m sure that original seal was causing the original water leak…….but…maybe the mind was playing tricks… who knows.
:hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.