Forgot to switch my pump to "Main Drain" before vacuuming

Aug 17, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Oops

I forgot to switch my pump to main drain before I vacuumed my pool this morning. Where did all the stuff go ? It wasn't too bad - a few leaves and worms.... Are they now sitting in my Sand Filter ? I ran a back wash for 5 minutes and the water was clean ....

When I do set the pump to main drain where do the leaves and other stuff actually go ???

Thanks.

What kind of vacuum do you have.

If it's a suction side cleaner it doesn't matter if you switch it to the main drain or not. The debris goes to the filter. It will be backwashed out next time the filter is cleaned.

Thanks Mod,

I'd wondering why the pool installer showed me to set the pump to Main Drain to vacuum ..... does it make any difference then ?

I place the end of the hose into a hole below the basket at the skimmer to get the vacuum to work.

On my 250lb Jaccuzi sand filter the "main drain" setting on the multiport valve bypasses the filter and goes straight to drain or the backwash port.

There are several positions on the filter valve. What does each position do?

Filter- Water is distributed onto the sand bed. The water flows downward through the sand bed as dirt and debris are captured by the sand. The clean water enters into the distribution system at the bottom of the tank. This clean water is pushed up the center standpipe and returned back to the pool.

Backwash- Water is directed into the center standpipe and enters the distribution system at the bottom of the tank. The water flows upward through the sand bed washing the dirt and debris up and out of the filter through the waste line.

Rinse- Water is distributed onto the sand bed. The water flows downward through the sand bed to settle it after backwashing. The water enters the distribution system at the bottom of the tank and is pushed up the center standpipe and discharged out the waste line. (Note: This position is not found on all valves and is only used after backwashing.)

Whirlpool/Recirculate- Water flows directly through the valve and is returned back to the pool. This position is used if you do not want to circulate water into the sand bed.

Drain/Waste- Water flows directly through the valve and out the waste line. This position can also be used to vacuum heavy amounts of debris to waste.

Test- Water will not flow in or out of the valve. If pool equipment is below the water level, use this position when cleaning the hair and lint strainer on the pump. It will prevent water from flowing from the pool through the return line.

Winterize- This position lifts the diverter up from the valve plate to keep the diverter gasket from flattening out during off-season. It also allows air to enter the tank when draining.

http://www.aquablue.ca/x-filters.htm

If Chuck is right and your talking about the multiport valve then my earlier discription is wrong. It doesn't make a lot of difference but let us know if it's as Chuck described and we'll straighten it out.

You have a suction side cleaner and should really be using a vacuum adaptor instead of removing the skimmer basket and putting the hose directly in the bottom port.

I put my Kreepy Krawler directly into the suction side port, using the vacuum adapter doesn't provide enough draw to work properly even if I close the main drain door. The Krawler adapter has a spring loaded bypass that adjusts the suction so the cleaner works at the correct vacuum level.

I've tried it, it doesn't work on my system without going direct.

offgrid said:
Thanks for all the replies.... just emptied the basket at the pump and found out where all the leaves and stuff went.

I'll remember to switch to "main drain" next time I vacuum.

If it is just leaves you are vacuuming, I would save water and just vacuum in normal filter mode, then empty the basket when finnished. I would only vacuum straight to drain if my pool water level was too high any way, or I have a dust storm etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.