Bonita Springs, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I would like to change the filter and pump for my in ground pool. The pump and filter are original since 1995 however the pump motor was replaced prior to my ownership by the previous homeowner and now the pump is beginning to leak.

Here are the stats of my current pool system:
20,000 total gals: 19,000 gals pool, 1000 gals spa
Spa spillover into pool
Fountain in spa
AquaLogic Controller
Sta-Rite PTM100 cartridge filter, original with pool
Sta-Rite P2RA5F-125 pump that originally was supplied with a 1.5 hp motor but was replaced with a 1 hp, 1.25 SF motor
Salt water generator
Hayward heat pump
Solar panels, Helicoil solar panels, 11 4X12.5 panels and 6 4X10 panels, 1.5" headers and 1.5" supply and return piping to pad
All the suction and return piping to/from the pool is 1.5", except for the suction piping for the spa which is 2", the return piping at the pad from the pump, thru the filter, thru the heat pump to the first return valve actuator is 2". After the first return valve actuator, all the piping is 1.5"

The solar panels are on a 2 story house, arranged in two rows with 11 panels at gutter level and 6 panels above the 11 panels. There is 65' of piping from the panels, across the roof and down to the pad each way

There is a 1 hp, 1.65 sf, Sta-Rite booster pump for solar operation only
There is no additional pump for the spa and there is no cleaner.
In the pool there is one floor drain, one skimmer, and 3 return jets
In the spa there is one floor drain, 4 return jets and one additional return line in the floor of the spa that is used for a water fountain that is controlled by a valve actuator

I would like to replace the existing cartridge filter with a new cartridge filter, replacing the existing pump and eliminate the booster pump.

I would like to replace the two pumps that I have with the Hayward Tri-Star variable speed pump, SP322063EEV, with the communication module to be integrated with the Aqua Logic controller.

Will this pump be compatible for my system? Is this pump a good choice? Do you have any alternatives to recommend?

I would replace my current 100 sq. ft. cartridge filter with a Hayward Swim Clear 225 sq. ft. cartridge filter. Would this be a good replacement filter? Since I'm going to replace the pump, then it might be a good time to upgrade/change the filter.

I have read reviews of the Tri-Star pump from pool owners with solar who have stated that when using solar, the Tri-Star was running at full speed (2.7 hp) and that this was wasting electricity; any thoughts on this.

Also, when I replace the pump and cartridge filter, should I replace all the 1.5" PVC piping above the equipment slab with 2" PVC or should I leave everything at 1.5 PVC?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanx,

Rick

I live ins SW FL

ricksass said:
I would like to replace the two pumps that I have with the Hayward Tri-Star variable speed pump, SP322063EEV, with the communication module to be integrated with the Aqua Logic controller.

Will this pump be compatible for my system? Is this pump a good choice? Do you have any alternatives to recommend?

It depends upon your software version of the Aqualogic. Older versions need to be upgraded (new board) to be compatible with the pump. I think it is about a $500 upgrade.

I would replace my current 100 sq. ft. cartridge filter with a Hayward Swim Clear 225 sq. ft. cartridge filter. Would this be a good replacement filter? Since I'm going to replace the pump, then it might be a good time to upgrade/change the filter.

A bigger filter will save time in the long run so you might go one size larger. I have a 420 sq-ft filter on the same size pool and am glade I did.

I have read reviews of the Tri-Star pump from pool owners with solar who have stated that when using solar, the Tri-Star was running at full speed (2.7 hp) and that this was wasting electricity; any thoughts on this.

You shouldn't need to run the pump at full speed but you need to run it at higher speed than without solar.

Also, when I replace the pump and cartridge filter, should I replace all the 1.5" PVC piping above the equipment slab with 2" PVC or should I leave everything at 1.5 PVC?

Upsizing the plumbing would be a good idea given that you probably will have to change some of it anyway.

Thanx Mark.

1. I have the updated firmware/software on the Aqua-logic board;

2. So, I'm guessing that you'd recommend I increase the cartridge filter size to a minimum of 400 sq.ft.;

3. All the 1.5" piping above ground at the equipment slab should be sized to 2", correct?

4. Any thoughts on the Hayward Tri-Star variable speed pump, #SP322063EEV; is this the "latest/greatest"? Since I'm using the Aqua-logic controller and salt generator, I thought I would stay with the Hayward line of pumps.

Thanx again.

2. For your size pool, I would at least go with a 325 sq-ft filter. 425 is optional and might be a better choice if you live in an area with a lot of stuff falling in the pool.

3. As much as you can within reason and/or cost. Given you are replacing the pump and filter anyway, you would benefit some by changing the pad pipe size. Most of the equipment is 2" anyway.

4. Probably the best solution given your controller already supports it. Otherwise, you will end up spending a lot more for a pump AND controller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.