cartridge cleaner clarification

Westovers

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2009
Austin, Texas
Your directions state:

For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element for at least one hour (overnight is most effective) in (1) a commercial filter cleaner; or (2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or (3) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

Are the measurements for TSP and/or dishwasher detergent for solid (powder) or liquid? I can not find TSP liquid--everything is called TSP "substitute" now. Are these substitutes OK for cartridges?

Westovers said:
Will grocery store variety "dishwashing liquid" accomplish the equivalent? (Still 1 cup per 5 gallons?)

I have used Cascade with some success. Did that because I couldn't find TSP but this was because I was looking in the wrong place. I did find it at Home Depot in the painting section. It is a powder and comes in boxes. It may be worth noting that TSP seems to be regulated in certain areas and therefore, may not be able to be had in every painting supply store. The painting supply store folks would surely know the answer to this specific to their locale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.