Has anyone had a CT scan of ABD with and without contrast

Well, it's been quite a while (1997) so my memory is a little fuzzy... I had a CT scan and I think it was with contrast. Everything was a bit of a whirlwind at the time, but I do remember there were no side effects from the procedure.

If you are like me, you will research and read quite a lot, as you probably already know... that can be a good and bad thing. I would suggest you bring up your concerns with your doctor.

Good luck, and I hope all is well!

oldkayak said:
Well, it's been quite a while (1997) so my memory is a little fuzzy... I had a CT scan and I think it was with contrast. Everything was a bit of a whirlwind at the time, but I do remember there were no side effects from the procedure.

If you are like me, you will research and read quite a lot, as you probably already know... that can be a good and bad thing. I would suggest you bring up your concerns with your doctor.

Good luck, and I hope all is well!

I trust what my doctor wants to do. I work in the medical field registering patients and see a lot of people come for them.

I just had one the other day, Tuesday no sweat you drink some Barium, it's kinda chalky so just toss it down the faster the better. They wait 2
hours or so and then do the CT. They shoot the contrast through an IV. It was really quick and painless (except the IV stick).
I have had them in the past and the only problem was expelling the Barium ugh!

So, good luck whatever you decide to do...

I came close, getting Xrayed for kidney stones. The IV was no biggie. That foul-tasting phosphosoda stuff I drank the night before to do the cleanout was the worst. Imagine the taste and smell of stagnant seawater. And boy, they weren't kidding when they said, "Do this at home, and be warned it works fast."

In past three years I've had 5 MRIs. For the one on my shoulder, using contrast, I was prescribed a corticosteroid and took benadryl prior as I have a known allergy to some contrast media. No problems. I had two MRI of head. First one without contrast. Second one a few weeks later they did without contrast and, in same session, with contrast. I did not premedicate for that, and had no problems.

I would suggest talking with doctor and reporting any allergies you've had in the past to anything. That might give indication to doctor if you might have issues.

My father had pretty severe allergies to most contrast media. He had many, many, scans of different types, over the years, was premedicated, and had no issues.

Hope this helps. And yes the gas after digestive system scans is horrible. Don't laugh.... if you can get someone to help you get in a position where your lower body is up in the air, way above your head, you can possibly get rid of gas faster. I've done that twice with surgery that involved messing with my intestines. DH helped me "sort of" do a hand stand. Worked.

gg=alice

kirbdoc said:
I've ordered more than i can count. You can be allergic to the dye but it very rare and even then you can still do it with premedication. As long as your kidneys are ok you are good to go.

+1 on what kirbdoc said. Unless you have kidney clearance problems, it's fine. It feels kinda funny when they start injecting that IV contrast. You get warm all over. Very strange.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.