Travertine

Lershac

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
What can one expect to pay for travertine paver decking and coping? Mat'l cost, I understand labor will vary wildly depending on the location.

I have "heard" anywhere from $4 a sq ft to $25 per sq foot. Material only.

I'm sure it depends on the look of the stone. Travertine from different quarries will have wildly different colors and textures to it. Think of all the varieties of "granite" at different prices you can see at the home improvement stores! It's the same for any natural stone.

That being said, are you sure you want travertine? It's the softest stone you could possibly buy for coping/decking. I know some folks have used it, but I sure as heck never would.

Melt In The Sun said:
That being said, are you sure you want travertine? It's the softest stone you could possibly buy for coping/decking. I know some folks have used it, but I sure as heck never would.
I'll agree with this. It's really too soft. Even down south where you dont get the freeze thaw cycles, it wont hold up. It looks nice, but I think in the long run you wont like it. It will really start to flake.

Tumbled travertine is anything BUT slippery. And seeing how well the colosseum, and several ancient castles in europe (several coastal) have held up... I think it will last the 40 years I want to use it.

I appreciate the intent of your comments, but was really looking for information on pricing of the product. Its moot now, as I have located an import export company who have sent me samples for travertine pavers at less than $3 per square foot in the quantity I need. Coping is quite reasonable as well. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can forward the company information. They truck to anywhere in the US, but the southeastern US and the East coast are where they concentrate

Sorry, I didn't see anywhere that it said tumbled. I assumed that you were asking about typical travertine. Tumbled is a whole 'nother story.

That being said, and since I live in the pool world and not the Colosseum, I still wouldn't use it around my pool! Expect it to deteriorate and stain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lershac said:
But flagstone coping is ok?

Not for everyone! Mine is deteriorated quite a bit in about 8 1/2 years, but I just have one of my guys go out and replace the bad ones now and then, so it never looks too bad. Would I recommend someone else use it? Not without telling them the same concerns that I've told you!

Travertine is beautiful. But it has its limitations. If you are willing to accept them, then that is the right product for you!

simicrintz said:
Lershac said:
But flagstone coping is ok?

Not for everyone! Mine is deteriorated quite a bit in about 8 1/2 years, but I just have one of my guys go out and replace the bad ones now and then, so it never looks too bad. Would I recommend someone else use it? Not without telling them the same concerns that I've told you!

Travertine is beautiful. But it has its limitations. If you are willing to accept them, then that is the right product for you!

Great! I appreciate your bringing the limitations to my attention.

Anyone who has actually bought travertine ( or has some knowledge on pricing ) have anything to contribute to address the question?

Pricing on the stone seems to vary wildly. Local installers quote it installed at $25 per square foot and up. I have found it MUCH cheaper by going up the supply chain to the ports in Miami and dealing with the import/export folks who bring it in country. They seem very willing to deal, have sent me free samples, and very attractive terms including the right to refuse shipment if it does not meet with approval on delivery. I guess a side benefit of tough economic times.

Beez, it will be awhile, this is a self-build. A friends heavy construction company is doing the dig, and I will have the gunite shot... everything else will be my project for however long it takes.

Stones vary a lot in their durability, but generally speaking in terms of density and stability of the material, limestone < travertine < marble and all of these are made from calcium carbonate so all are susceptible to acid. If you want the stone to last longer, then have it sealed regularly. As for the old structures made of travertine, the parts exposed to weather do in fact deteriorate if they are more pure travertine, but many of such ruins no longer exist and those that do have thick columns where pitting and flaking may not be nearly as objectionable as in your hardscape/coping.

If the limestone or travertine is formed with a variety of more durable minerals such as dolomite or petrified organic matter, then it can be far more hardy. Since tumbled travertine is very porous with its many holes, you wouldn't want to use it as a hardscape surface in an environment with freezing winters.

We have honed and filled travertine in our shower and while it is beautiful, it's a pain to have it resealed every few years and is not the easiest material to maintain. But it's stone, and that's what one expects if one wants to retain such beauty.

Sheesh, chem geek, you just answered the limitations and problems associated with travertine, just like me :roll: :lol:

I charge $45.00 a lineal foot. We install it all the time. Quality and location of origin has a huge impact on the material. Remember the old saying "you get what you paid for" as you continue your quest.

ok. I appreciate everyones input. However, the thread focus as intended was NOT to be a debate about the :blah: suitability of travertine for pool associated use. I think its pretty clear that like most things, travertine pavers will deteriorate given the time. I can accept that. I can afford the upkeep. :goodjob:

Can I just say please lets drop it? :hammer:

I had wanted to discuss pricing in different areas for the product, but I guess I might just as well have brought up flexible PVC, a pool frog, or a magic sanitizer to have stirred up all this discussion that is not on topic! LOL. :cheers:

simicrintz said:
Sheesh, chem geek, you just answered the limitations and problems associated with travertine, just like me :roll: :lol:

If only I had asked that question? Its like going to get a haircut and the take your appendix out! lol

simicrintz said:
I charge $45.00 a lineal foot. We install it all the time. Quality and location of origin has a huge impact on the material. Remember the old saying "you get what you paid for" as you continue your quest.

Thanks Simicrintz! That would be one of the reasons I negotiated the right to refuse the delivery upon inspection of the material.

I have not ordered it (yet!) but I have a couple more quotes out to importers working near major ports to see how they stack up. From the samples they sent me, I took them to a local dealer who is a client of mine, and tellingly he asked me to forward him the importers contact information saying it was good stuff. I also took it up the the local university where they promptly broke one into several pieces to test density and structure, and they give me the thumbs up. The also warned me to be especially careful of acid around the pool, and to never let the pool get acidic.

We paid $3.00 per sq ft for the extra pavers outside our screened enclosure. This was done thru our PB during construction of our pool build however I think he normally charges @ $4.50 to $5.00 per sq ft. Hope this helps.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.