Need replacement light

RobbieH

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2010
Dallas, TX
I have a light that's probably over 50 years old and in need of replacement. I was hoping someone here might now who I should contact to find a suitable replacement. You should be able to read the manufacturing marks on this light. Let me know if you have any ideas at all, I have no clue where to even begin.

This thing is so bad the cable just snapped in half.

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

I forwarded your info to the Smithsonian, and they said they would take your light! Just messing with you :roll: :lol:

Very doubtful that you will find another light like that one, and the niche is actually more important than the light. Can you take a picture of the niche so we can see what you have to work with? You're also going to want to be very careful to make sure that the new light is properly grounded when you do replace it. Things have changed from then to now, so we want you safe!

I don't want the same light, I want something to go in its place without having to modify the plaster and concrete.

The repair company said the only way they will install it is if it has one consistent line all the way from the pool to the switch. There's a conduit that goes under the deck, to a GFI circuit tied to the switch. It is all grounded to the pool. All the wiring has to be replaced, this wiring is over 50 years old, the rubber was all swelled, the copper is pretty much all gone from within the wriing, and the rubber just snapped when we pulled out the light.

I'll get pics of the bucket and some measurements as soon as I can. We were doing leak detection, and when I fired back up the pool of course the sand blew back into the pool, so now I have murky water.

The light does not need to go all the way to the switch continuously. It can go to a J-Box (which has to be 8" above water level, per code, here) and then to a switch, if that helps at all.

Copper conduit was the grounding on these types of lights, and most electrical is run in PVC now and requires a separate ground. I just wanted to make sure that your outfit doing the work kept you safe!

It may be a bit tough to find a replacement for such an old niche with no modification. I'll keep my eyes peeled for your niche info and I can check the supply house to see what options you may have once I see the pic!

RobbieH said:
I may just plaster up the light when we remodel the pool next year.

Great idea. I've done it many times. If you have any type of structure nearby you can put down lighting on the pool to make up for the loss of the pool light. Personally, I think having the pool lit from the top down is a better look anyway.

No structure anywhere near the pool. We will figure something out though. The pool guy said something about the new pools they light the edge, not sure what he meant by that though. We have an interesting coping that we might be able to install lighting in it between it and the deck. It has a lip off the deck about 1.5" in height. It might look kind of neat to light it that way, although this would add no light to the pool itself.

This is a satellite view. This is on 1.25 acres. Gives you an idea of how far from the house the pool is.

pool-1.jpg

I can't be much help on the light, but wow, very nice looking layout from the pic. they built some monster pools back in the day.

Just a thought, it might be cool to build modest pergola or gazebo on part of your deck. You could then shine lights from it onto the pool, and just plaster up the existing hole.

cheers

Which vehicle do you drive to the pool when you want to swim :lol:

Perimeter lighting is usually fiber optic. Very spendy, and not a whole lot of light given off. More of an ambiance lighting than real useful. You need to have the light source within 15 feet of the pool also, and would need to saw cut your deck to run the fiber. It would probably be cheaper to change the light and replaster the pool than run fiber optic :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.