Hayward NorthStar (2 speed) vs. TriStar

Sep 27, 2010
I'm so glad to have found this website. I've never had a pool before and just had one built and tons of problems with the builder.

Anyway, I noticed the builder installed a different main pump compared what was stated in the contract was wondering if the pump was comparable? The contract has Hayward NorthStar 2 speed (2.0 HP) pump as the main pump, however, they install a Hayward TriStar SP3215Z1M instead.

Checking Hayward's website I found "SP3215', but can't find any models that match the last three ("Z1M") letters and the digit.

Are these two pump comparable? I think the TriStar is a single speed pump. I'm concerned since the builder also installed a lower models on other equipment as well. I'm wondering if I should insist on getting the NorthStar installed or just leave it. Is this pump enough power for my pool size?

Here are some details about my Pool and Spa:

* Approximately 20K gallons
* Raised SPA with spill way to the pool. I'm told the SPA and the Pool share the same pump. There is a separate booster pump (Hayward 600) installed for the jets.
* Waterfall pumped by Hayward TriStar (1 HP) SP3207Z1M.
* Hayward Prologic PL-PS-8 with Aquapod remote
* Filter Hayward C5025
* Heater Hayward H400FDP
* Lights: Hayward Colorlogic (not sure if they installed 2.5 or 4.0. The builder doesn't know either, so lights can't be programed yet.)
* UltraPure UPP/SPP 15 (the contract stated UPP/SPP 25 should have been installed)
* Rainbow 320 in-line chlorinator
* Polaris 280

I would appreciate some help. I'm having a nightmare of time dealing with this builder. The builder has installed so many things incorrectly and I'm just beginning to uncover these as I get more educated about the pool and the equipment.

Welcome to TFP.

First and foremost. If the contract called out a specific model number for a piece of equipment I'd force the issue unless the alternate was an equal or upgade from the specified model.

The SP3215 can be either a single speed or a 2-speed model. Look on the motor data plate and see if it lists two different speeds or two different hp's.

The SPX3215Z1M is actually the motor number off a 2.0 HP up rated single speed pump model# SP3215X20. Since you have a jet pump for the spa and waterfall pump, you shouldn't need a pump that big. If you want to stick with a Tristar, I would recommend a two speed 1.0 HP full rated SP32102EE. The Tristar doesn't come any smaller but a Whisperflo does if you wanted to downsize some more. Have you considered the variable speed version?

Thanks folks. I've asked the builder to replace with correct equipment already. Whether they actually come out and replace/repair is different story all together. It normal takes two or more weeks before they come to address an issue. As for the pump, is having too much HP not good? If not, perhaps I should just keep the TriStar and ask for credit back since TriStar is a cheaper pump?

As a side note, I just hired a pool maintenance company, who does start-up service, to come out this morning as I'm having too many issues with this builder and they discovered that pipes to the filter were reversed. So, opening up the filter canister, the 4 filters were completely destroyed although they were brand new. Also, my ColorLogic lights wasn't working right and they discovered the network module wasn't installed. The UltraPure was hooked up to the Waterfall instead of the filter circuit. The skimmers were never unplugged. Eye-balls for the spa and pool are missing. The builder installed a old rusty check-valve for the spa (it was draining to the pool). The electrical wiring is not to code. He discovered this all this in less than 30 mins. Wow! I have issues!

The larger the pump, the less efficient it is so smaller pumps save $$ in energy costs. But a two speed saves even more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.