PUMP FILTER MIS-MATCH ?

Sep 29, 2010
Hi there all ! I have a problem with a newish pool that I feel I need help with.

The pool in question is 20 cubic meters. I live in Southern Spain . In my area there are many pools. They vary in size but we all have the same water source, and we all buy the same chem from the same shops. All the kit in my pump house came from the same shops as every one else. My friends have lovely clear pools. Not me. Every spring I balance the water, and keep all my levels absolutely correct. Many of my friends are very sloppy. They have clear pools too. Mine starts out fine but after a month one can see a light cloudy haze to the water. Not green. White. The same colour as the fine dust that coats everything around here. This clouding will increase until the bottom is invisible. It is as if the water is full of very fine particles. I shock every two weeks. I keep a good algaecide level but algae loves dust. Ok the lady at the shop and many forums say shock with algaecide and chlorine and run the pump for 24 hours to deal with this. No change even after 36 hours on one occasion.

OK so I add flocculant and yea clean water. BUT I have to vac to waste SO carefully so as not to stir up the brown floc gunge on the bottom that I have to top up a lot. This makes the pool colder. There are always some bits of flock suspended in the water so filter them out no? After 12 hours or so the water is the same and in five days it is cloudy again so more floc etc etc. Thus the summer cycle of floc top up, floc top up begins and carries on until shut down for the winter.

NOW the pool was fitted out by a real pool pro BUT he was on medication at the time and made a mistake with the prozone system and fitted it backwards. He has since retired to the UK. Now I got a good price because he was using up stock and I wonder whether he has mismatched the pump and filter. I remember him saying that I had a really good pump. "It will pass your whole pool through the filter every three hours" he said and it does. (the pool will pump out in around three hours)

The pump is rated at 250 to 100 litres per minute (depending on head) and the filter has a capacity of around .5 of a cubic meter. This seems to be a lot of pump for a tiny filter and I am wondering if this is why I have troubles that no one else has. I am wondering if fine dust is being forced through the filter sand, or if the water is coming at such high volumes that it makes holes in the sand to pass through. It really does seem as if my filter does nothing. Shutting the return vales partially to keep the pressure up to the edge of the yellow, or in the yello makes no difference. I am wondering about getting a electricity clever friend to make a device to reduce the voltage to the pump to get things down to around 5o L per minute.

Any thoughts from those that know would be great. Thanks. Raz

Welcome to TFP.

Get some model info off the equipment and post it. Pump make & model, filter make and model, etc.

If you're turning the pool in 3 hours that's moving 6-2/3rd cubic meters an hour, or 111 litres per minute, which = 1760 GPH or about 30 GPM (for us Americans) :)

While your filter might be the problem I don't think it's because it's too small. A small filter will handle 111 LPM.

Welcome to TFP.

Changing voltage to the pump isn't gong to work.

Without knowing your chlorine and CYA levels, it's impossible to tell if your problem is chemical or with your filtration.

Your numbers sound like you have about a 1HP pump and a very large filter to me, which leads me to think you have a chemistry issue. Post a full set of test results and a description of how you chlorinate and test and we'll try to figure it out. Also, more specific information about your equipment would be helpful.

OK in Spain we can only test two things. Chlorine and PH. These are kept spot on All the time. The filter is tiny. I'll go and measure it again. Please note pools of neighbours that are tested in the same way are fine. Ok it could be chemistry but I doubt it. I maintain pools for others with no trouble. I have friends just up the street with a pool built at the same time who never test, forget their chlorine NEVER shock and all is fine. I am the ONLY person in the area with trouble. This is why I doubt that it is a chem issue. As I said I can't ever clarify with the filter AT ALL 72 hours. NO change. This year I ran chlorine at twice normal levels. We never have any chlorine smell or red eyes. Ever. And the pool behaved the same. This is the point. I do it all properly. This is why I am puzzled. I don't do anything at home that I don't do when working on other pools. The reason that I wonder about my filter is that it is smaller than any other filters that are fitted to "working" pools.

So PH is ALWAYS 7.2
cl Normally 1,0 or 2.2 but this year I tried 3.0 + but same trouble

For TDS etc I use the same water is my neighbours, same rain ,same dust, same chem, same same same.

Oh and HOW I chem. I used to use a float, but this year I did what all my neighbours do and placed Tri Chloro tabs in the skimmer boxes. I test morning and evening every day. Every two weeks 20 fast release shock tabs are added. 100mil of algaecide is added each week. I also used "maintenance" tabs of floc this year.

Razpool said:
cl Normally 1,0 or 2.2 but this year I tried 3.0 + but same trouble

That is way too low for a stabilized pool. You need to know your CYA level.

We need to know about your equipment. You stated your filter is 0.5 cubic meters, which is a large filter. Post the brand and model and we can advise you on the sizing.

Tell us how you chlorinate and how often you test. Even a few hours a day of low chlorine can allow algae to start, and you constantly have a dirty pool, even if the chlorine is higher the rest of the day.

OK did very careful measurement of filter today. Capacity .25 cubic meters probably less . Make Coral 92001 7M cubic/hr
Pump Silen 50 m Q100/250 L/PM .

So looking at those specs it seems a mis match is unlikely so I wonder what makes my pool so different? Can you tell if a filter is not working ?
EG my friend two doors up can clear his water noticeably in one hour. Mine in the same state makes no change. And as I say same water and chem as I have used elsewhere. Odd and distressing.

Eyeball aiming, eyeball size, skimmer action, plumbing head pressure, pool/house orientation, main drain operation, etc. Lots of things can affect the circulation in a pool. Try aiming your eyeballs in a different direction.

Razpool said:
OK did very careful measurement of filter today. Capacity .25 cubic meters probably less . Make Coral 92001 7M cubic/hr
Pump Silen 50 m Q100/250 L/PM .

So looking at those specs it seems a mis match is unlikely so I wonder what makes my pool so different? Can you tell if a filter is not working ?
EG my friend two doors up can clear his water noticeably in one hour. Mine in the same state makes no change. And as I say same water and chem as I have used elsewhere. Odd and distressing.
What level is the pump at compared to the pool, if you have them at the same level you could be using the pump at or near it's maximum (250L/PM or 15m3/hour or twice what your filter is rated at, so yes you could be blasting water through the filter and not filtering. Sand develops channels very easily, partly because of body fats,sweat etc and partly due to sun creams. This causes the sand to pebble and channels develop through which water dirt and bacteria can easily pass.
Therefore you have two potential problems with your filter. Report back when you have the information relating to your plumbing height/pump relation and open your filter and take a look.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.