only second time closing above ground pool

May 12, 2009
Hey guys
this is my 2nd season closing down my above ground pool. So far we have scrubbed and cleaned out all debri. We haven't swam in pool in over a month so Chlorine levels have been staying around 5 for about 3-4 days if longer. I followed the poolschool directions, did over night shock test and everything held, but had a set back to closing it b/c-had to go out of town. When I returned a week later everything still looked good but chlorine had drifted down to 5ish out of shock range

We plan on leaving our stairs in this year and just draining, unhooking everything and covering like always, however do I need to re-shock, test, then drain and cover? if so if I shock tonight and holds and then I close it down tomorrow will it be okay if my levels are still at shock level when I put cover on ,etc or do I need to let drift down? Also do I need algecide? My stablizer is at 40, and all other levels look good ph around 7.5 or so. we use liquid bleach and that is it, never had to add anything else.

May I ask as to why you are leaving your stairs in your pool over the winter and what part of the country are you in?
We always take our stairs out, disassemble them and do a complete cleaning to remove any traces of undesirable elements should there be any hiding within the stairs themselves.

Hi Dora,
We have always taken out stairs out, however we thought it would be ok to leave them in. We have wedding cake tiered stairs and they are very hard to take out, you can't take the weight off so someone has to lift the stairs out. It usually takes 3 people to help my husband and me ,and this year my brother is on deployed so we are short on lifting help.

We leave near Knoxville, TN

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.