Drainage of Catchment Basin in Infinity Edge Pool

Sep 27, 2010
I had a contractor build a gunite infinity pool for me about two months ago. He recently came by and punched a hole near the top of the catchment basin/collection trough, through the decorative tile and all the way through the concrete of the pool wall, to the dirt in which the pool sits. He said that this was nescessary for drainage purposes, otherwise, if the catchment basis collects too much water, such as from rain storms and including from overflow from the main part of the pool, it will simply overflow. He said this will allow the catchment basin to drain into the ground. While I don't know anything about pool drainage, punching a hole through the pool so that it can drain into the ground if the water reaches a certain level just seems wrong to me. Could anyone tell me whether this is how a catchment basin on an infinity pool typically drains, or has my pool contractor dones something wrong?

Normally, an autofill has an overflow port and is attached to the basin. It sounds like you declined or weren't offered one.

He should sleeve the hole with pipe and run it away and down hill and away.from the pool. Don't want a water washout.

Scott

On a negative edge pool, the basin gets the auto-fill, not the main pool. This is an inexcusable mistake by the builder.

In the main pool, the water level is fixed at the edge. The catch basin's level has no such control. It's here that the water level is most important.

The builder knows this and doesn't want to bear the cost of the correction. He screwed up. It's time to stand up.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.