Amerlite + LED bulb = Intellibrite LED?

Simbilis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2010
While negotiating for my new pool, I asked for an Intellibrite white LED light. My builder bid one to me, but at install time, he actually put in an Amerlite housing and replaced the standard bulb with an LED array. When I noticed that the manual said "AMERLITE" and mentioned it to him, he said that he wasn't able to get an Intellibrite from his distributor, but that this was the same thing.

Just now, I called the Pentair customer service line and asked them about this. After some difficulty describing the circumstances, they eventually told me the same thing - an Amerlite with an LED bulb is a good substitute for an Intellibrite, as long as the illumination level is adequate.

This still sounds strange to me, so I thought I'd ask here. Does this match anyone else's experience? The Pentair Intellibrite page claims some advantages, including a specially shaped lens and reflector matched up to the LED geometry.

Thanks,

Sim

I asked on their customer forum and got some clarification on their response, which now seems more reasonable.

Pentair Product Technician-Ben said:
The led bulb (non-Pentair) won't hurt that light, but he didn't give you what was quoted. The lens and reflector on the intellibrite are different so that they make the most of the led panel in the intellibrite which is probably arranged differently than your aftermarket bulb. We're comparing apples to oranges when speaking about amerlite and intellibrite.

There is no such thing - does yours turn color like the intellibrite? I find it hard to believe that he couldn't find it in stock - or at least didn't wait 3-4 days for it to arrive if it wasn't in stock. In NorCal, I just checked two of the larger distributors and they have the 50', 100' and 150' corded 120V models in stock. These models are now (becoming) very common.

Looks like he's trying to save about $300 (wholesale difference between the two) by going that route.

Where are you located?

No such thing as an Intellibrite white LED (non-color)? There's one listed on the Pentair site - http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/products/lighting-white-intellibrite-white-led-387.htm.

I agree with you that the "couldn't get one" excuse is possibly suspect, but I doubt he'll object strongly to replacing the Amerlite with the correct model. We'll be closing the pool as soon as it's done, which will provide an excellent opportunity.

I'm in northern VT.

Thanks,

Sim

Another conversation with Pentair customer service adds some clarity (?). The latest IntelliBrite White LCD has been held up "in engineering", and isn't available for sale yet. It was scheduled for a July release, and many distributors are suggesting Amerlight + LED bulb as an alternative.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.