Jul 15, 2010
Hi All,

I got the LQ a few weeks ago, and I'm consistently having problems with clogging. The out flow decreases over the course of a few days until it stops entirely. This usually happens well within a week.

Here are my non-chlorine numbers:
pH: 7.4
TA: 75
CH: 325
CYA: 60

Any suggestions on how to prevent the clogging? I have a two-speed pump, so I switched back to a schedule where the pump does not turn off entirely but instead runs at low speed for the remainder of the 24 hour cycle. This didn't seem to help avoid the problem.

Also, after cleaning everything in the acid bath this time, I noticed the check valve is now damaged (some of the little plastic tabs / teeth have broken off). It leaks air massively, so I've removed it from the system for now until I can get a replacement. Do you see any harm in running without the check valve?

Thanks,
Mike

I am not sure about how to resolve the clogging. I have been using an LQ for four years now and fortunately have never encountered the white stuff. You might consider upgrading the tubing to 3/8". lq-3-8-line-conversion-how-to-increase-flow-t8337.html

In regards to the check valves, if your LQ is above pool water level, they are mostly unnecessary. Some folks have a problem of their pump losing prime without them but I don't think it is that common. You will also get a better flow without the check valves.

What does the stuff it's clogging with look like?
What is your FC target?
What do you use for chlorinating liquid? (6%, 10%, 12%, etc)
Where do you buy your chlorine from?

I bought (2) 2½ gallon jugs of 12.5% liquid from the pool store a few weeks and it had some stuff in it that built up in the bottom of the LQ and I had to clean it out after using it. I'll stick with the WW 6% from now on.

I think the stuff is the classic WS that is often mentioned here -- in any event, it's white :)

I always use standard 6% unscented laundry bleach that I buy from WalMart or Target.

Theoretically, I'm targeting a bit below what the chart says (6.8) for 60 CYA -- around upper fives. In practice, between the clogging and the fiddling with the valve my average numbers have been well below that -- probably around 3 to 4. My FC count is always zero.

I battled the WS initially as well, but have found that keeping pH in check is critical (at least in my application). Ironically, I switched from the WalMart 6% bleach to the 12.5% around the time I became a little more vigilant on my pH, so I assumed that the "better" bleach and low pH were a combination of reasons for the lack of WS. I keep my FC around 7 ppm.

We have set up a half dozen RV parks in the area on LQ's (with the 3/8" upgrade), and have noticed that the ones that keep their pH low have no WS, while the ones that keep it higher do have it. All are using the 12.5% bleach. This would tell me that the bleach is not the reason, but that high pH is most likely the culprit!

I'm still using the 12.5% bleach (it is actually cheaper, by concentration, for me this way than the GV bleach), and have a clear supply tube. The WS that is still in the tank is residual, and I intend to clean it out after the swim season is over. I'm interested to see what happens after I start fresh again!

Yes, I meant zero CC :)

Yes, the parts always foam/fizz somewhat for several minutes. Actually, this last time was the first time I cleaned the out floater assembly -- in the past, I've only cleaned the flow meter (ball always gets stuck), the flow valve, and the check valve. This time I cleaned everything on the outflow side including the tubing.

I'm not having any problems running without the check valve, and my flow seems to be better, so I will run without it.

I'll keep a more careful watch on my pH and see if that helps.

I do have the standard 3/8" upgrade that came with the LQ, i.e., the blue and white check valve, flow valve, and fittings for the flow meter. I don't think the tubing is 3/8". Is mine the "entire upgrade"?

Laughingboy,

The original tubing that comes with the LQ is 3/8" OD (1/4" ID). The original fittings that come with the LQ are 1/4" OD (1/8" ID). We replace these fittings with 3/8" Type Speed Fittings which allow better flow. Unless you change the bulkhead fittings in the LQ (3/16" ID) which are part of the float valves, you will allows have flow limitation, even if you use 3/8" ID tubing. Let me know if you need a check valve, I can put one in the mail for you! PH is the key, keep it in check.

Hope that helps!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.