A moment of silence...

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
For my dear departed pump! :cry: I didn't even know it was sick! I go out to start up the pump and add some bleach, and all I get is "hmmmm". I am weighing my options. Do I replace the motor? Try to repair the motor? Go ahead and replace the whole pump?

I had hoped to replace it with a 2 speed in the spring. I was looking forward to spending our 6 weeks of winter comparing prices and looking up consumer ratings. Since temps are still in the 90s here I will not have that much time to make a descision. I do know I want to downsize to a 1hp from the 1.5hp I currently have. And get a 2 speed as mentioned above.

How do I find out if my current pump was fully rated? The deceased is a Pentair Dynamo for above ground pools.

My pool is a 21' round and at the moment all I have connected to it is the filter. I know I can get by with a smaller pump, but I want there to be enough power to vacuum up all the acorns that get dropped in the pool this time of year. I have a manual vac and a zodiac ranger auto cleaner. The manual does ok as long as I keep the leaf canister emptied (fills up quick this time of year). I have to do the heimlich on the ranger whenever it gets close to an acorn! What service factor do I need to look for on a 2 speed 1hp pump? Any other pump advice would be welcome as well!

Good morning, Zea. Sorry to hear of your loss. :roll: :roll:

The two speed option may pay for itself pretty quickly and may just be your best bet but you could also try replacing the start capacitor. That seems to be the most common issue for the symptoms you describe.

Dave has a good point about trying to revive the one you have for now. That'd give you time to research like you want to before next spring.

The Pentair Whisperflo pumps have a pretty good reputation around here. The WFDS-3 or the WFDS-24 would be a good match for your pool. They're identical pumps, just marketed differently.

Let us know if you want to persue the repair route and we'll be glad to help you diagnose your existing one long distance. :)

I have tried googling start capacitor for pentair dynamo and have not had much luck yet. I also looked at Pentair's schematic and they did not list a start capacitor among the parts. Is it one of those super secret unlisted parts? I will try seeing if the impeller is clogged when I have time to take everything apart.

Well my friends, it would appear that the pump is truly and sincerly dead. When I removed the pump and was able to turn it over I found the motor casing was quite rusted. The bolt down brackets had rusted completely off last summer and apparently the rust just kept going! I asked dh if he thought the pump was worth saving, and he said lets just see how far the rust goes!

personalphotos135.jpg

personalphotos136.jpg

As you can see, it goes all the way through! Preliminary pricing shows a new motor costing as much or more than a new pump.

My questions are:
Is the rust an issue with AO Smith or with Pentair?
Has anyone else had this problem?
How do I prevent it from happening in the future?

That looks like a job for Gorilla tape to me! :mrgreen:

Those motor housings are not really designed for wet locations but since they're on pool pumps it kinda goes with the territory. The best thing you can do is raise it off the ground onto something that will keep water from pooling under it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The mounting brackets started to rust the first year. I am planning to redo the pad since the original installer put the plastic thing the pump and filter are on directly on the ground and it has never been level. I've never noticed water pooling on the plastic base, but I guess it didn't have to! Is there anything I should do to the mounting brackets to prevent this from happening to the new pump? The guy I bought the pool from suggested spraying some clear finish on the brackets but that was after they started to rust.

Looking at pumps some of them show side discharge or vertical discharge. Usually it says vertical discharge for sand filters. Does it make any difference if you use a vertical discharge on a DE filter?

By the way Bama, I couldn't see the rust on the casing until after I pulled the pump off the pad and turned it over.

The direction of the discharge doesn't make a difference in operation. Some even allow you to change the direction of the discharge. You'll have to replumb it if you get one different than you have now but that's no big deal.

Never had a moments trouble with it, until it died! I have thought of getting another dynamo, but I don't know if the new one would have the same rust issues. Anyone know how to pm the Pentair guy? I can't remember his name but chimes in every once in a while.

Ohm_Boy said:
I'm pretty sure that will buff out. Looks like the laminations and windings are ok... might just be a tripped breaker? :lol:

I can fix that. My Dad's a TV repairman, and he's got an awesome set of tools!

Yup, that's shot :shock: I have my pump supported on some Trex, which keeps it up off of the ground nicely. You might consider that for the new pump.

zea3 said:
.... Anyone know how to pm the Pentair guy? I can't remember his name but chimes in every once in a while.

I think the guy you're think of is BriceJohnson. Something tells me he's a friend of Duraleigh, so maybe Dave can help get you in touch...

Good Luck!

no-mas said:
zea3 said:
.... Anyone know how to pm the Pentair guy? I can't remember his name but chimes in every once in a while.

I think the guy you're think of is BriceJohnson. Something tells me he's a friend of Duraleigh, so maybe Dave can help get you in touch...

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info! I was able to send a pm this afternoon. :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.