First time closing

If you wait until the water temp is consistently below 50 and open the pool when it reaches about 70, usually you will not develop algae over the winter months. Closing too soon and/or opening too late are usually the cause of finding a green pool even if you did everything else correctly. If you think you may need to close early and/or late then you may want to add the polyquat 60 or some borates to deter algae growth.

Having your water below 70 is fine to close. If you bring your chlorine/Bromine levels up high enough and everything else balanced, drain down your pool to winter level then do a non chlorine shock wait 30 mins/ add your stain prevent wait 30/ then add your 60% algaecide. Then put on your cover. I have used this method for 12yrs closing customer pools & every one of them has been crystal clear in the spring. The point of the cover Black side down is to prevent sunlight from breaking down the chems and keeping out debris. My reason for adding the chems after is basically your wasting money & chems by doing the other suggested method.

Pathfinder said:
If you bring your chlorine/Bromine levels up high enough and everything else balanced, drain down your pool to winter level then do a non chlorine shock wait 30 mins/ add your stain prevent wait 30/ then add your 60% algaecide.

Won't the non chlorine shock continue to oxidize the contents of the pool even after 1 hour?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pathfinder said:
To elaborate, would you put algaecide in your pool just after you shocked it?? At break point chlorination levels how effective would any chem be being added after. Which is why I use the method stated in the previous post.

I still dont understand what your saying. What does "breakpoint chlorination" have to do with anything? Are you just talking about chlorine potentially breaking down the poly 60?

zea3 said:
Won't the non chlorine shock continue to oxidize the contents of the pool even after 1 hour?
Yep. No need to add MPS. Yes, high chlorine will chew up sequesterant and vice versa. You could add an EDTA based chelator, but over the winter, its not that useful to do, it wont last. One/is better off adding bleach to shock levels based on the CYA and close it down. Thats why all those closing kits are a waste of money and make the pool store rich.
Pathfinder, you will find the folks on TFP are really knowledgeable about pools. There's not much the collective members here do not know. When anyone makes statements that cant be backed up and squared with the knowledge on this site, people question it.

I also saw your sig line. My pool is perfect, as are most on the site. What could you find wrong? :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.