Motel pools

giulietta1

In The Industry
Mar 29, 2007
Knippa, Texas
Went on a quick trip over the weekend; used the motel pool. The water was cloudy and greenish; the equipment looked pretty new and included an inline chlorinator (tablets, aack!) Excessive CYA, I don't doubt. There were sufficient bugs floating in the pool to motivate me to fetch the skimmer net and scoop them out.

Yes, I did get in anyway! Wore a swim cap and took a shower with soap afterwards.

It was great to get back to my own sparkling clear pool! I know I'll never look at pools the same way again. Every time I see a pool that looks less than perfect I want to get my test kit and get to work.

I keep wanting to bring my test kit when I stay a a hotel with a pool :slidehalo: I haven't done it yet, but I think I'll have to next time (spent the night last night at a Marriott with a pool, but was going to see Jimmy Buffett and never saw the pool, and for once didn't smell it in the lobby :wink: )

I think it'd be fun for all of us to take out TFP kits (or equivalent) to the hotels we stay at and post the results here :twisted:

I grew up in motel pools in the 50's and 60's. Then I married a 'lake' man and he said no way were we swimming in a motel pool. I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not. So what is the skinny on motel pools? jenn

Where are the guys? The ones with pooliosis? I think it's going around :shock: May be something in the water? :wink: I think I may have a touch because when I go to the store I drive by 3 pools that usually need some TFP intervention. OMG, they aren't actually going to get in that pool, are they?......Where is my test kit.......

Joyce

jj said:
I grew up in motel pools in the 50's and 60's. Then I married a 'lake' man and he said no way were we swimming in a motel pool. I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not. So what is the skinny on motel pools? jenn

Like many pools, they aren't well maintained. Also tend to get a fairly high bather load. Adds up to CYA buildup. . . insufficient fc. . . cc's. . . algae blooms. . .icky!

While I am still willing to use a motel/hotel pool, there is NO WAY I am getting in a hotel spa/hot tub!!

jjparrish said:
Where are the guys? The ones with pooliosis? I think it's going around :shock: May be something in the water? :wink: I think I may have a touch because when I go to the store I drive by 3 pools that usually need some TFP intervention. OMG, they aren't actually going to get in that pool, are they?......Where is my test kit.......

Joyce

Hi, I'm Brian and I have Pooliosis! :-D

tagprod said:
jjparrish said:

Joyce

Hi Brian, I knew you were one, but did not want to call any 'names'..... :wink: .....I guess it takes one to know one! It is a fever, isn't it? BTW, is pooliosis a twelve step program? :cheers:

Joyce

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jjparrish said:
tagprod said:
jjparrish said:

Joyce

Hi Brian, I knew you were one, but did not want to call any 'names'..... :wink: .....I guess it takes one to know one! It is a fever, isn't it? BTW, is pooliosis a twelve step program? :cheers:

Joyce

yea, 12 steps - 12 ounces at a time...

We stayed at hotel in Blacksburg when we took my son down to Tech ... OMG ... there were kids swimming in the pool and it was so green I could see it across the parking lot! There is nooooooo way I would ever get in a public pool after taking care of my own!!!! I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who wanted to grab a test kit, if only to see how bad it really was!

You should see me when we cruise, especially the 3/4 days out of CA. Those spas are scary with all the people...then all the kids running through them - do like the salt water in the ppols each morning. They cycle fresh salt water to the pools each am.

On a recent trip, I saw a family using the hotel cesspool. The young kids were playing in the spa and were submerging their heads completely in the brown, foamy "water." I wonder what diseases they're battling now.

Blech.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.