New pool, equipment not run - do I need to close

Aug 4, 2010
In ground pool currently being installed, and the temperature has already dropped to end the swimming season. Can I fill the pool to just below the skimmer, not throw in any chemicals, not run the heater or salt chlorinator - and thus not have to close the pool? Essentially, once the water is in, it's closed - or is there something I should do?

fyi...in Canada and expect cold and snow.

Thanks

You can plug the returns and skimmer before adding water and they'll be fine (*** as long as no water has entered the plumbing during the construction) A main drain would still have to be blown out and the pipe sealed while the water is bubbling.

As long as the equipment has never been run, it should be fine.

You will want to still shock the pool and probably cover it (after making sure your chems are in good shape)

What kind of pool surface will you have?

The reason for asking about the surface is because curing plaster raises the pH and I wanted to give you a 'heads up' on that, had you gotten a crete pool. With a liner pool it's not an issue :)

Here's the way I'd handle this. The day the liner is dropped, have the pool dudes blow the lines for you before they drop the liner (the vacs they use to set the liner should have an exhaust port that can be used for this and it'd take them ~2 minutes). Since you don't want to run the pool this year, have them install the faceplates for the skimmer(s) and returns, BUT DON'T CUT THEM OUT! The liner can be cut out in the spring and there'll be NO chance of pool water getting into the lines :-D . If you have a main drain, that has to be cut out when the liner is installed, but just have them blow out that line once the pool is full.

Congrats on the new pool :goodjob: Let us know how it turns out (pics are always welcome :mrgreen: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.