Overdosed my 24 FT above ground with Algecide What to do?

Sep 5, 2010
Accidentally added about 4 times the suggested amount of algecide to our pool and there's a white foamy sort of film on top of the water. What should i do? Is it ok to swim in with the film showing? I am trying to skim as much of the film as i can. The water is still sparking clear.

24 ft above ground round.
Nashville TN

I know they make anti-foaming agents, but I would wait on one of the experts here (who I'm sure will be along shortly) as I have no first hand experience

ok thanks I was able to skim a lot off the top and i think it's ok now. I am hoping tomorrow will be all better. It's supposed to be the last good swim day as temps will be in the 90's one more day and then take a dive to 70's. I hope to enjoy it. I made a decision to keep my pool open throughout the winter, so, i am worried about it but at the same time i think it will be ok. Thanks for replying.

You need to raise your FC (chlorine) level up a bit. It'll eventually oxidize away, it just takes time.

Do you know what the ingredients in the algaecide was? A lot of them are copper and that'll stain your pool when it gets too high.

Post a full set of numbers and how you got the. Then we can help more.

i read a post this guy wrote in about having a sandy dusty kind of looking stuff on the bottom of the pool, which they told him was algae. I have been dealing with that stuff, albeit my pool water is very clear, but i couldn't seem to get rid of that on the bottom. So when i read that it was dead algae, i thought i'd get algaecide which i now realize was dumb, since that is dead algae. sighh. But actually, the pool had a greasy sort of feel to it, and i felt that it needed the algaecide. I really don't know numbers because i just go by what the pool store tells me, and the truth is, i don't even have the test kit you are all talking about. I tried to understand what you are all saying but it's not sinking in. I think maybe if i get the kit, it will start making more sense. Yes, i did read the pool school thing. I am just overwhelmed by it all. I think it'll all sink in after about 2 or 3 seasons of maintaining my pool. If anyone wouldn't mind a private message to work with me one on one, that would be so appreciated. Let me know :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.