questions on Borates

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
I've searched the forum on this but I still don't understand completely the importance or function of borates in the pool? Is this something that is absoultely necessary? What is the benefit of a good level of Borates in the pool?

No, there is no great need for borates in your pool. I think of borates as an advanced technique, ie not for everyone.

Borates help reduce the rate of PH rise, improve the water feel, fight algae, reduce chlorine usage, and add sparkle. Recommended levels if you want to use borates are between 30 and 50 ppm. Adding borates up to that level can be kind of a pain and there is a small risk to pets which reguarly drink large amounts of pool water. You can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to calculate the amount of borax and acid needed to raise the borate level.

Man, Jason, You are quick :-D We do have a labrador that I let swim maybe once a week and he does sometimes swallow pool water while swimming. Do you think I should avoid borates because of that? He otherwise has no access to the pool and never drinks the pool water intenionally.

The cat who lets us live here and use her pool drinks from the pool at least once a day. Not large quantities, just sips (its a saltwater pool!) It hasn't seemed to bother her a bit.

If I had an animal that drank large quantities from the pool, I'd try keeping a bowl of fresh water out there in the hope that it would be a prefered source.

I keep the borate level at 50 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.