Newbie: How to prepare for winter the right way?

Sep 23, 2010
Roanoke, VA
Well this is my third pool and the first one that I plan to leave up. My concerns are preparing it correctly for the winters in Virginia. My thought is to drain it below the skimmers, and buy a 24' solar cover for my 20' pool. And then let the ends hang over the rail to keep dirt or leaves out. I do plan on getting a winerizing kit before covering. I'm hoping the solar cover will keep the pool from freezing. Will this work or not? What are your thoughts? Thanks for the help guys!!! :wave:

A solar cover won't have any real effect on the pool freezing. Pools freezing is no big deal, just get the water out of the plumbing, pump and filter. If you leave a solar cover too larger, it will either fill with water and sink when it rains, or the first gust of wind more than about 15mph will send it into the neighbor's yard.

Here's an article about winterizing AG pools: Winterizing your Above Ground Pool

OK thanks for the information. I guess I'll just winterize it and put a good cover over it. I was thinking that a solar cover would help but I guess not. Thanks for clarifying that.

JohnT said:
A solar cover won't have any real effect on the pool freezing. Pools freezing is no big deal, just get the water out of the plumbing, pump and filter. If you leave a solar cover too larger, it will either fill with water and sink when it rains, or the first gust of wind more than about 15mph will send it into the neighbor's yard.

Here's an article about winterizing AG pools: Winterizing your Above Ground Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.