I know there is no "stupid" questions, but.....

Sep 21, 2010
Will there be days that I don't put ANYTHING in the pool? It seems both the PH and the FC are legit as of tonight, the water looks clear, etc. It seemed like Brian was always tinkering and adding stuff. :hammer: We did the total battery of tests on Monday, and it's Thursday night here.

Also, how will I know the skimmers are on? I keep second guessing myself to whether the valves are open or not. My pressure hasn't gone up much.

I can see now why Brian got so into this. I can tell after I feel more comfortable, I'm going to enjoy it. I hope. :party:

There may be some days when you don't need to do anything. You should probably test chlorine daily until you really have a feel for how it varies.

When the skimmers are on, the weir (floating door) will be pulled down slightly and have water flowing over it. When no water is entering the skimmer, the weir will be floating slightly above the top of the water. If they are off, the weirs will usually make a little soft banging noise occasionally while you are swimming.

Guamgal said:
Will there be days that I don't put ANYTHING in the pool? It seems both the PH and the FC are legit as of tonight, the water looks clear, etc. It seemed like Brian was always tinkering and adding stuff. :hammer: We did the total battery of tests on Monday, and it's Thursday night here.
It's nice when that happens, isn't it? :-D
It just depends on how tight you make your tolerances. If you allow pH to range from 7.2-7.8, it will stay okay for quite a while. If you allow pH to range from 7.4-7.5, it will take a lot more fussing. I suspect your husband has a bad case of sparklypoolitis, so he worked in a narrower range.
[quote:1ylu0krm]Also, how will I know the skimmers are on? I keep second guessing myself to whether the valves are open or not. My pressure hasn't gone up much.

I can see now why Brian got so into this. I can tell after I feel more comfortable, I'm going to enjoy it. I hope. :party:
[/quote:1ylu0krm]Look for movement. I can usually see through the finger holes in the skimmer lid that water is moving; your setup may be different. And if the pool is clean anyway, and not a lot of debris is falling in, your filter can go a long time before clogging. My pressure raises about 1 psi/month, which leads me to hope that backflush and recharge is an annual thing.

Once you get into the routine and get comfortable with the tests and treatment, you may start getting fussier. It's okay, we all go through it. :wink:

I'm still kind of newb myself (it's my rookie year as a pool owner), but with a saltwater chlorine generator I almost never have to add anything to the pool. It really is a pretty great system for lazy people like me (my Polaris cleaner also helps here!). I do check the water, but only usually about once a week unless I suspect a problem or have added some chemicals and want to measure their effect.

-Andrew

Guamgal -- Once you get to know your pool well enough you won't have to do the drop test every day. I usually do mine every other day. Having the LQ allows me to go a while without adding chlorine. It might be something you want ot look at. It's much less expensive than a SWCG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.