New here from FL

Merlot

Sep 19, 2010
So very happy to find this site, although it's making me realize how very much I do NOT know and didn't realize I needed to know :lol:

We are just finishing up a pool build and are very excited to get to it. Initially, I did not want a pool b/c I had a young son and was terrified that I might not be able to watch him closely enough. However, that toddler is now nearing 10 yrs old and he's been joined by a brother who just turned 3, and both LOVE the pool at Grammy's house. The 10 year old is quite the fish and his little brother is getting there...swimming underwater very well and able to get to the edge to pull up. So I'm not as nervous, although I'll probably never be totally relaxed about it LOL.

We live on the east coast of central Florida, Melbourne area (Indian Harbour Beach, to be exact). I have seen others from Brevard county on posts here and there. I was introduced to this board by an online friend from Texas, it seems you guys turned her pool from pea-green soup to a sparkling clear relaxation zone. So I'm glad to spend my time here reading and learning what we need to do in order to keep our new back yard in tip-top shape.

Thanks for all you do!

And just another quick question (as I've asked questions in two other areas already!)...we are having a uv/ozone purifier put in as part of our pool package, so I'm wondering how that plays in with the pool chemistry? I've been reading in the pool school so if that is covered, I apologize. Just haven't seen it yet. Should we still strive for the same values? I know we will still be using some chlorine. Maybe I'm just getting over-anxious b/c it's getting close now and I realize how far behind I am in my knowledge of what's actually going to be needed. The only pools I've ever spent much time in have been maintained by apartment complexes LOL

Hi, I'm in Indialantic, so just down the road a bit.

In general, the UV/Ozone systems aren't always well regarded on this site. Not because they don't work, but because the pool owners get "over" sold by the typical builder. UV/Ozone can only kill off something in the water that physically passes through the unit. So, you must still maintain chlorine (or some other sanitizer) in the water to attack algae that might attach itself to a step/wall/etc. and never flow through the unit. As a result, I personally would strive for the same chemical values, and let the UV/Ozone system give you peace of mind about killing off chemically resistant bacteria, etc.

I make this suggestion based on my own case of keeping slightly higher than normal chlorine levels from that recommended in the PoolCalculator - grandkids pretty much says it all for me in terms of safety (and yes I have a fenced in yard, child fence surrounding the whole pool and door alarms).

Yeah, I kind of gathered that it wasn't the recommended setup, but c'est la vie, no? We will have it and regardless, I want to do what is best for the entire system. Thanks so much for the input :) I think I would feel a lot better about trying the BBB approach, as long as it's ok to do along w/the UV system.