A couple of questions

Sep 2, 2007
Hi I am a new pool owner and this is my first post. I think I posted it in the right place.

So I have an in-ground pool and yesterday I closed the motor because I wanted to change my function from "Filter" to "Backwash" and when I turned the motor on it didn't work. So I went to my fuse box and closed the fuse for my pool. I waited 5 min and then put it back. I turn the switch on and it works. My question is why did it do that? And should I leave the motor on 24/7 because that is what I have been doing.

Also how long should I "Backwash" and "Rinse" my pool?

Thank you

Welcome to TFP!

You don't generally need to run the pump 24/7. Typically something more like 8 to 12 hours a day is sufficent, though it varies for each pool and can be much shorter or longer than that in rare cases.

Motors have high startup currents. If the fuse/circuit breaker is marginal, or not properly rated for the pump, or the pump is getting quite old, the startup current can trip the breaker/blow the fuse. If it only happened once I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens every time you may need an electrician to figure out exactly what is going on.

You generally backwash until the water runs clear in the sight glass, which could be a couple of seconds to several minutes depending on how dirty the filter is. Rinse is typically for 30 seconds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.