Sep 6, 2009
TN
I am looking to build an outdoor fireplace this fall, kind of like this:
05-after.jpg

I am close to settling on one made by FireRock-
http://www.firerock.us/builder/fireRockSystems/outdoor.php

or Eldorado Outdoor-
http://www.eldoradostone.com/outdoor/

Does anyone have any experience with this type of pre-built, modular fireplace? Any other brand I should look at?

I am going with pre-built due to many internet postings about how the geometry of the firebox and flue need to be very accurate for good draw, etc. Having a local mason do this would be hit or miss, plus much heavier than the FireRock.

You might look at a drop-in firebox for comparison.
Stone masons will still need to build around the firebox and construct the chimney/hearth.

This is what I did. The dimensions are standard - you can easily look them up in a table. Since the firebox and flue diameter are set, the only
thing you need to make sure is correct is the height of the chimney. It ends up being higher than most people think when you look it up.

I don't know much about the pre-built fireplaces you linked to. They look nice. Are you able to choose from a wide variety of stone? I very much
like the native limestone we used, which is common here in Texas.

Here are some pictures from my project of the firebox that they dropped in and the completed work. The fireplace/chimney was framed with 2x4's and covered in OSB prior to stoning it. We also did an arch top - they simply cut a 2x6 to use as a template. A couple of drawbacks - right behind the arch top you can see the black metal of the drop-in firebox. On a true hand-built arch top fireplace, you wouldn't see that I don't think. It doesn't bother me and looks just like the one in my house. The other thing to think about is that the firebrick that is inside the firebox is an imitation firebrick - it is actually a stamped sheet, so you don't see a different colored mortar/grout line. It's definitely a detail, but there is also a substantial cost savings. If you are wondering what the rectangular cutout above the fireplace on the chimney is, that is where I have finished out and hung a flat screen TV.

85-Day73b.jpg

823-Day91a.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.