Can I use Travertine Tile in my Pool?

Sep 6, 2010
We are picking out the tile for around the waterline of the pool.

We have found some travertine tile that we would like to use, however my wife had heard that it is not good to use marble/travertine under the waterline because it will breakdown.

Has anyone here had experience with Travertine in the water?

Also what size of tile should we use and how far down from the coping should the tile go? We have the option to use either 2" or 4" tile. Should we use 2,3, or 4 - 2" tiles or 1 or 2 - 4" tiles.

Thanks,

Hey, Todd,

If you keep your water chemistry correct, I believe you could use travertine because of your location.....no hard freezes.

However, it'll still have some drawbacks. Algae loves to find little nooks and crannies in which to flourish and you are providing that with travertine....it's manageable but a troublesome issue.

Also, because of the softness and permeability of travertine, it will be far more prone to stain than other tiles.

For me, the practical disadvantages would outweigh the appearance, but that's ultimately your call.

Porcelain tile is the most moisture resistant and stain resistant so I would suggest looking there first.

Most scum line tile comes down about 6" with the water line hitting the tile about the midpoint.

My 2 cents is I wouldnt use it; it's too soft. The mason who put my limestone coping in said that limestone is the softest he would put in. He said he has seen travertine on, in, and around pools and it doesnt hold up well. But then again I'm in New England where it gets cold and freezes, so YMMV in warmer climates.

Hi, Todd...I used travertine for my coping (sealed it with Dry Treat), but put a marbelized double glazed ceramic tile on my waterline. It looks very much like my travertine without the worry and hassle. Click on my pool build link to see it. It's been a win/win for me since I wanted an all-natural stone and glass look for the pool, but easier upkeep. HTH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.