I thought I had a problem with algae..but not sure..help

kawfytawk

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2010
Waco, Texas
Ok, I started back to college and got caught up in my studies so I let the pool slide a few days. :oops:

So when I checked it was

TC 0
PH 7.8
CH 30
CYA 40
TA 130 (always high)

My water was cloudy and had a green tinge to it. I assumed it was algae. I added my MA to lower PH and then prepared to shock pool I added enough bleach to reach 16 according to pool calq but it went to 20 (taken at dusk).

This AM before sun fully out my chems were

FC - 20
CC - 0
TC - 20
PH 7.5
TA 130
CH 30
CYA 40

So, I didn't lose any chlorine overnite and my water still looks murky...not the pretty clear it was before. Taking the water out of pool and putting it in a clear glass...it looks clear...but in the pool it looks pale greenish and not all clear. So, I am not exactly clear as to the cause. Any ideas?

Give it another day or so. Green is almost inevitably algae or metal content and it is a real stretch to think that metal has suddenly precipitated in your pool.....a REAL stretch!

Chalk up the lack of FC loss as just one of those things and monitor you FC daily and keep your filter running 24/7. I think you will lose more chlorine than can be accounted for by the sun and that your water will clear.

Yes, If your FC drops by more than around 2-3ppm daily, keep it up for a few days. When the water looks crystal clear, do an overnight FC loss test (see Pool school) and if you pass that test again, let it come on down to normal.

I see no reason to lower your pH to 7.0 or even adjust it.... certainly not while your FC is above 10ppm.

Borax is an optional additive that will not help you clear your pool. I personally don't use it but you might consider using it after your pool is stabilized.

Sportsman said:
Have you brushed the bottom to see if the green is on the liner and expose any algae to FC?

Yes, I have brushed and vacuumed I plan to do it again later today. I have noticed quite a bit of "dirt" that has settled on the floor of the pool since last evening. Is this dead algae? <---- if this is a stupid question...consider the source :wink:

Looks like I am making progress. Pool no longer has a green tinge but is still a bit "cloudy" although I can see the floor pretty well now. I will keep it up until I am satisfied with the clarity.

Quick question, Why would I not adjust my PH? I thought Pool School said that a lower PH helps keep the chlorine more effective on the algae...Did I read that wrong? Also, my PH ALWAYS drifts high. I started out with a TA of around 350 with my fill water. Took a while and I am at about 130 still working on it. Rain always drives it back up.

Don't just keep it up till you're satisfied with the clarity. Keep it up till you pass the OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test).

You shouldn't adjust your pH while your FC is above 10ppm because high FC affects the pH test and it'll read higher than it actually is. Until your FC gets below 10 you really don't know how much it's affecting your pH reading so you should just wait till it comes down to adjust the pH.

Bama...ok, thanks for the info. Looks like the overnight test, this morning was a winner -no loss. I am going to give it one more good scrubbing/vacuum and do one more overnight test, just to be sure. It shouldn't hurt anything right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.