Solar Pill

It isn't as good as a real cover, but it there isn't a lot of wind then it can work to reduce evaporation and therefore heat loss. The problem is that a breeze or wind will push the one-molecule thick layer towards one end of the pool exposing a lot of water. So I wouldn't call this snake oil in that it isn't completely bogus, but it's not nearly as effective as a real cover and needs calm conditions. One of the original products, HeatSavr, uses cetyl alcohol as its primary ingredient (along with dispersant such as isopropyl alcohol along with some calcium hydroxide). There's a long thread about this on another forum here.

chem geek said:
It isn't as good as a real cover, but it there isn't a lot of wind then it can work to reduce evaporation and therefore heat loss. The problem is that a breeze or wind will push the one-molecule thick layer towards one end of the pool exposing a lot of water. So I wouldn't call this snake oil in that it isn't completely bogus, but it's not nearly as effective as a real cover and needs calm conditions. One of the original products, HeatSavr, uses cetyl alcohol as its primary ingredient (along with dispersant such as isopropyl alcohol along with some calcium hydroxide). There's a long thread about this on another forum here.

For the solar pill, given there is no mention of calm conditions required and it's questionable benefit, i'd still call it snake oil. Snake oil is still oil, just doesn't work as well as the marketing around it would make you believe. At least Heastsvr calls out the calm condition requirement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.