I just don't get it!

Sep 8, 2010
Okay, I never said I was smart! the Taylor K2006 FAS-DPD kit just confuses the heck out of me. I don't even know if I am doing the Chlorine test correctly. I fill to the 25 mL line,add 2 dippers R-0870, turns pink, then began to ad R-0871, put in 9 drops no change at that point so I stopped to ask you folks. Does it really take more drops? Also did CYA test and did not even come to 100 reading.
I was successful with Ph test . I also tested with a Chlorine and PH with a Poolmaster kit and HTP kit, on both Ch was 2-3 ppm and ph was 7.4. What am I doing wrong with the Taylor kit? Your help in testing would be Really appreciated. I think I'm trainable. Thanks Mike

PS. Sparkling Clear, no apparent issues. New pool may of 2010

Welcome...the 25ml sample tests FC in 0.2ppm increments. 9 drops would only be 1.8 FC. You need to keep going and I would suggest using a 10ml sample instead (measures in 0.5ppm increments) to save reagent. On the CYA...that's a good indication it is above 100. Try diluting your pool water 50/50 with tap water and repeat the test, then just multiply by 2.

It takes as many drops as it takes to turn it clear. Remember that you're only measuring .2ppm with each drop in the 25ml test, so just an FC of 3 will take 15 drops. It's 5 drops for every one ppm of FC. Also remember that it's not a gradual change either. One drop it's pink the next drop it's almost completely clear.

If a few drops in the cya tube completely obscures the black dot it means your CYA level is very high. You'll need to drain and refill at some point to get it to a measurable range.

Just saying the same thing as the Dman was. :-D only slower!

True I am talking about both tests. But I am satisfied at the moment with Chlorine and PH since I can get decent results with the other 2 kits. It is the CYA that concerns me since the pool has only been in since May.. Thanks everybody for helping!! I'll need much more and it's appreciated . Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.