Help - switching from sand filter to D.E. - Yes or No

cwbest

Sep 17, 2010
Hello All,
I'm looking to buy a new filter and would like some recommendations for filter area size or make/model. I've asked around here and have received many different answers. I live in Pensacola, N. Florida, have a vinyl 22000 gallon pool, 3/4HP pump and 2 1.5inch inlet pipes join together before going into the pump. Outlet is 2 jets at opposite sides of the pool. I have a hard time determining max flow rate with this setup but my best guess is 48 gal/min. My current sand filter is old, has a patch and my local area "pool man" recommended gettting a new one. Do I stay with sand? I have a constant battle with algae. Would a D.E. filter help? I can get a Hayward EC65 or EC75 for about the same price - would either of these be good? Thanks to all who reply in advance!
Chuck

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Take a read through pool school (button on upper right of this page)

Proper water chemistry will prevent algae, not your filter :goodjob:

As far as the filter is concerned, if you old one is not leaking and filtering properly, there is no need to replace, but should you choose to, the is very little difference in visible water clarity between the two. A DE filter comes in handy if you plan to entertain at night and have underwater lighting...that's about the only time you can notice a difference.

Welcome to TFP Chuck.

Your filter is not the reason you're having algae, but lets address that later. Read Pool School to figure that out.

Now on to your filter. Either of the DE filters you quoted will work with your pool. Bigger is better where filters are concerned. Some people like sand, some people swear by DE. It's a personal choice.

Are you happy with the water clarity with a sand filter (discount the times of algae outbreak)? If it's not then a DE will be a better choice for you. If you are, then it's back to that personal choice for you.

One time that a DE filter is worse than a sand filter is clearing algae after and outbreak. It will load up quickly and need more cleaning than a sand, therefore you'll be using a lot of DE recharging it. The trick is to prevent the outbreaks in the first place. We can help you with that too.

Buy the filter you're inclined to buy in as large a size as you can afford. Then come back here and learn to properly care for your pool to make it work as well as it should.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.