1st time pool closing

Jun 14, 2009
Hello all,

I have read the "Pool Closing" topic at the beginning of this forum, I am waiting for the water temp to get below 60 degrees before I start it is currently at 70 degrees.

My 1st question (of many I am sure :?: ) is, what chemicals do I need to close my pool ?

Thanks

The only thing you really need is chlorine. You can use Polyquat 60 but it's optional and not usually recommended if you close after it's cold enough and open before it gets warm.

Tater -- You only add antifreeze to the plumbing. It would take an enormous amount to protect the pool and then how would you get rid of it?? :)

Thanks for the reply :wave:

So I just want to map out my steps to make sure I close my pool the correct way, please review and add or correct or re-arrange anything you think will help:

• Wait until water temp gets to 60 degrees or below
  • Bring my chlorine up to shock level
  • Clean the pool of leaves and any debris
  • Bring water level down to about 6 inches below the skimmers
  • Disconnect and dismantle the pump and filter
  • Blow out the return lines (I have three) and insert stoppers
  • Remove skimmers baskets and insert the gizmos in the skimmers
  • Remove diving board and ladders
  • Cover the pool with the loop loc cover
  • Done ???

Two questions:
1) Is there anything I can add/do to the pool to prevent the swamp that I had to deal with when I opened it at the beginning of this summer ?
2) I was told by the pool people that I had a very high phosphate level (<1000) which I have been keeping at bay by keeping an eagle eye on my chlorine levels. Is this something I should take care of now ?

Thanks to all .......

Bama Rambler said:
The only thing you really need is chlorine. You can use Polyquat 60 but it's optional and not usually recommended if you close after it's cold enough and open before it gets warm.

:roll: Did you forget how it works? Once you close the pool after 2 weeks of cold weather, you get a few weeks of super nice swimming weather and say "I wish I had closed it later".
:-D

fatcat07 said:
Thanks for the reply :wave:

So I just want to map out my steps to make sure I close my pool the correct way, please review and add or correct or re-arrange anything you think will help:

• Wait until water temp gets to 60 degrees or below
  • Bring my chlorine up to shock level
  • Clean the pool of leaves and any debris
  • Bring water level down to about 6 inches below the skimmers
  • Disconnect and dismantle the pump and filter
  • Blow out the return lines (I have three) and insert stoppers
  • Remove skimmers baskets and insert the gizmos in the skimmers
  • Remove diving board and ladders
  • Cover the pool with the loop loc cover
  • Done ???

Two questions:
1) Is there anything I can add/do to the pool to prevent the swamp that I had to deal with when I opened it at the beginning of this summer ?
2) I was told by the pool people that I had a very high phosphate level (<1000) which I have been keeping at bay by keeping an eagle eye on my chlorine levels. Is this something I should take care of now ?

Thanks to all .......

I would change steps 2 and 3, remove debris and leaves before you shock.
I am not sure you need to actually disconnect and dismantle your equipment, I just pull drain plugs on pump housing and filter and done.
Phosphates....thankfully we havent been pitched that stuff yet for our inventory I would hate to have to start selling it!!!
I wouldnt personally worry about it.

Thanks .... I will swap 2 and 3, clean 1st and then bring the pool up to shock level. I dismantle the equipment (filter and pump) because I store it in my shed for the winter.

Ok so the only chemical I need to add to the pool is chlorine (bleach) ? Do I have to add anti-freeze ? also is there any other chemical I can add to the pool that will help me when I open the pool next spring ?

Thanks

fatcat07 said:
Thanks .... I will swap 2 and 3, clean 1st and then bring the pool up to shock level. I dismantle the equipment (filter and pump) because I store it in my shed for the winter.

Ok so the only chemical I need to add to the pool is chlorine (bleach) ? Do I have to add anti-freeze ? also is there any other chemical I can add to the pool that will help me when I open the pool next spring ?

Thanks

rv antifreeze to the return lines and skimmer lines and any line that might still have water in it, plug off your return jets and skimmer opening. I use to always add a bottle of algaecide and some sort of stain and scale inhibitor, i still might this year, i am undecided, it certainly doesnt hurt.

Hello all,

I am starting to get ready to close the pool finally and since I have let it go a little bit (laziness) :oops:, the water has gotten a little hazy. So I am in the process of cleaning the pool, I know I have been asking about what chemicals I need to close the pool properly and have gotten some responses but I am still unsure of what is needed.

I took a trip to the pool store to buy some DE and saw a pool closing kit that contained the following items:

5 lbs. Chlor Brite
5 lbs. Fresh' N Clear
1 qt. Algae Control
1 ltr. Metal Free
1 qt. Ultra Bright
10 ct. Test Strips
Free Water Bottle
1 ltr. Pool Magic + PHOSFree
Complete Pool Opening & Closing Instructions

Are these chemicals needed to close the pool ? Is it a wise buy ?

If not could someone please list what is needed.

Also once I lower the water below the returns and blow them out and place the stoppers on them do I have to raise the water back over the returns ?

I also need to know if once I disconnect the filter and pump (winter storage) and the gizmo and return stoppers are in place I am planning to add the anti-freeze from that location, do I fill the return and skimmer lines with anti-freeze ?

Sorry for all the questions but I am a 1st time pool owner and this is my 1st closing .... I need to make sure I do it correctly.

Thanks in advance for all the help and advise ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don't need any of that stuff.

Chlorine is all you need. I'm assuming you have a cover so you'd need to raise your FC to shock level, blow out and plug all the openings add about a gallon of antifreeze to each pipe. Filling the piping with antifreeze is optional. As long as you're sure you've blown the water out a little antifreeze in the bottom of the pipes is all that's required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.