leak around pipe

Sep 8, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA
Hello,

I am losing about 3/8 inch daily with pump running 4 hours/day. I had to replace the liner due to liner leaks so I really have no clue how much water evap is "normal", but I just got the liner replaced like 2 weeks ago so I am doubtful that is the problem. I had tried the bucket test with a gallon bucket but I must have mismarked something cuz the bucket ended up losing more water than the pool did :? I have yet to try the bucket test with the pump off, I might do that next (to make sure liner is OK).

But in any case, I noticed that there's this wet spot whenever the pump is running, is this normal? Can someone suggest a way to fix this? It seems that the previous owners used tape around the pipe. Does this pipe just twist off and then I can reseal it with some plumber's tape on the threads (if there are threads?)?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22394035@N02/4994177217/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22394035@N02/4994174497/

It looks like the problem may be with the connector, since the tape covers it and part of the pipe. The connector screws onto the pump. The pipe may or may not be threaded. Your best bet would be to cut the long horizontal pipe on top in half, then remove the section of pipe connected to the pump and replace it. You will also need a new elbow and a small section of pipe to join to the cut end. I would add a union between the cut end and the horizontal replacement piece to make this job easier if it ever happens again.

Thank you. It makes sense to remove the tape to see what's underneath and determine what needs to be replaced. I was hoping it would be somewhat of an "easy" fix. I have never worked with PVC so this also sounds a bit way over my head. I might have the local pool store quote me on a repair or wait till the pump needs to be replaced :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.