1 closing of the pool question

There are a couple ways of dealing with this. You can replace the skimmer faceplate with one that will accept an Aquadoor (basically a Tupperware lid for the skimmer mouth - this keeps pool water out of the skimmer.

Or you can install a Gizzmo in the skimmer port - it screws in and with a couple wraps of teflon tape will not leak - the Gizzmo is hollow and will collapse if ice forms, thereby protecting the skimmer's walls.

The third method is to just take the hose off the bottom of the skimmer and let any water that enters drain out. You have to refill the pool in the spring after reconnecting the hose, but it's not a lot of water.

Ok. Stupid question time. If you leave your hose off of the skimmer (over the winter) and drain the water to the skimmer opening, and if (say for arguments sake) you have enough snow to further push out even more water through the skimmer opening during a 20 degree February week, is there any chance that the skimmer could still be damaged in any way as a result of minor water being still left around the bottom of the skimmer near the hose opening? Thinking to myself that this would be no worse than any random snow getting into the skimmer opening melting and freezing anyways?

I was blindly following advice that the skimmer door should always be put on to keep the skimmer mostly dry over winter to avoid any issues whatsoever.... but then I always worry about whether the water could overflow the pool!

I love my Lake Effect snow, but it does occasionally have its downfalls.

docthebiker said:
Does the winter cover also cover the skimmer box? And if the water level should rise...what prevents it from freezing in your skimmer and cracking it? I know to remove the hose so it can drain....but it still concerns me.

No, the winter cover should not cover the skimmer or return. Having the cover/wire on the skimmer or return line can damage them (the wire should be above the skimmer and return and below the "turnbuckles" of the pool) Also I agree with waste, save yourself some time and water and install an Aquador

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.