structure rust spots

Sep 15, 2010
I have a inground gunite pool in atlanta that was built by a national company bout three and a half years ago. I have two rust spots on the bottom about 8 feet apart and the pool company now says it wasant built correctly. they want to came sand those spots down and replaster. Is this the correct method and will this create any long term plaster problems? scott

I don't think sanding and replastering is going to work. They need to be sure to go into the concrete and encapsulate the rebar, otherwise, its still going to leak through the plaster. Not to mention that the rebar will continue to rust and propogate, causing lots more issues, including structural. I'd call a couple different plaster companies and see what they suggest.

I had a similar issue. I had 3 rust spots, two behind tiles coming through the grout and one about 2 feet down on the wall coming through the plaster. My PB attempted to fix the one through the plaster twice before I told him never to set foot on my property again. Eventually, I had it fixed properly where they drained the pool down past the spot, removed about a 3" circle down into the concrete, ground the rebar back a bit and encapsulated it with something (not sure), then plastered it back with the original plaster. You can notice if you are underwater AND know where to look, but it should not rust through anymore.

Here are photos of the attempted fixes. I don't have photos of the correct fix. want-a-good-laugh-t23935.html