How do you close a Chlorine Pool?

It should be fairly similar to what you did before. Typically you would get the PH near 7.5, bring chlorine up to shock level, and add some PolyQuat (algecide) with a little time to circulate and mix well right before closing. Then protect the plumbing and cover the pool as you would have before.

IMO, the most important level is the temperature. If you wait until the water hits 60 to close, and open it again as soon as the water hits 60 on the way up, you will be much happier with the results.

This is our first year closing our new AG pool. Wait until it's below 60 degrees? ... Heck, we were at 65 all July-Sept with only a few 70 degree spikes. The price we pay living in Seattle's marine climate... not to hot, not too cold.

My big delemma is whether to close at all. We have mild winters with 1-3 weeks of mild freezing temps (20's are lowest it gets typically). I know this level of freezing requires running the water though. I'm planning to close just to stop running the pump and playing with chemicals.

My third option is to get a pool dome, but that is next year at the earliest (because we haven't built the deck around the pool yet :-D.

I'm in the RTP area and, like Duraleigh, I don't close my pool at all. We both have IG pools. I put my mesh cover on, though, to keep out the leaves and large debris, but leave the water circulating until it gets REALLY cold. Then, I bring up the chlorine and shut the pump off. I will run out and turn the pump on if the air temps get below 35. I really need a auto thermostat for that, but I do like to procrasinate.

CaryB

Hey Ivyleager!!!:wave: Nice to see you here!! :super:

I'll assume that the pool goes well as you aren't asking questions on either site :goodjob:

jgindy27, welcome to TFP!! :-D you are getting very good advice from the others! It's up to you whether you want to close the pool - if I were a conciencsous pool owner, like yourself, I would probably opt to not close the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.