DE filter closing question - North East

G

I have the DE filter fingers soaking in TSP right now, and will give them an acid bath later today.

Should I mount the top and tighten all the bolts, or should I leave it loose?

Last year, I left it loose and left the filter on its stand. I tightened it in the Spring. This year, I've put the pump in the shed and will also remove the filter. Just not sure whether it's better for the o-ring to be tight or loose. I suspect that it's better to be tight but want to do the right thing. It will be protected in the shed but will reach freezing temps in there.

Thanks!

Sue

PS - cleaning the fingers today was much easier than it was last year -- there was very little DE attached. I think it's because I cleaned it again in May or so.

Sue, you can do it either way - the important part is lubing the o-ring with Teflon or silicon based lube and not letting it get stretched out! With the 'bump' filters, I like to reassemble them before storing, just make sure that the top is oriented properly :wink:

Hope we'll still see you around here this winter :goodjob:

Thanks. Good to know about the silicon lube. And yes, I put it back on its stand and lined it all up when I realized that I wasn't sure about orientation. That would be a real drag to do all those bolts and have to redo it! Will work on bolting it back tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.